Belkin Australia TuneCast Auto for iPod
- Charge and play factor, easy to use and set-up, convienent
- Only two presets, Wires are messy
It needs a couple of extra presets and the wires are a touch messy, but otherwise, the ability to charge your iPod whilst playing it though your car stereo is an attractive one – and there’s no extra batteries!
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
In the TuneCast Auto for iPod, Belkin has created a simple and easy to use device, but there are too many annoying cables for our liking - and only two presets.
The TuneCast Auto's claim to fame is the fact that it powers and charges your iPod while you're on the road. Using a power adapter that plugs into any 12V auto cigarette lighter socket, the TuneCast Auto ensures your iPod will never run out of battery whilst you're on a trip. Furthermore, it doesn't require any batteries of its own, so you'll feel comfortable using the TuneCast Auto at any time during your travels - convenience personified.
The unit itself gets quite tangled; there's the power adapter, the TuneCast Auto unit itself (which includes an LCD screen) and the dock connector that plugs into your iPod. A thick cable connects these three pieces to each other so it does look quite messy, but thankfully, Belkin has provided two Velcro ties to keep the cables sorted. Also included in the box are two mounting pieces, so you can (if you wish) attach the display to your dashboard.
The TuneCast Auto works with all iPod models with a dock connector, including the recently released iPod nano and iPod Video. Setup is as easy as plugging the unit into your cigarette lighter socket and then finding a channel on your car radio with a weak or low broadcast signal. Once you've found this, simply tune the TuneCast Auto to the same frequency using the Up and Down tuning buttons. Should you wish to store this frequency, just press either the I or II buttons - that is, either preset one or two. We were disappointed to learn that there are only two presets available as many other units have a minimum of three or four. If you travel long distances you may find yourself changing frequency settings and with only two presets, this may not be enough.
The TuneCast Auto LCD display shows the current frequency selected as well as the memory slot indicator, if this is in use. Its blue backlit light is easy to read at night and even matched the blue backlit dash in our car! Volume is adjusted from your car stereo, so you won't have to use the iPod scroll wheel for this setting. In terms of sound quality, we didn't have too many issues, although do note that FM frequencies aren't the most reliable platform for music.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- TPAnalyst Programmer (Adabas)SA
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCService ManagerACT
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA EngineerNSW
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- CCSenior Technical Consultant - MicrosoftACT
- TPInformation Security OfficerACT
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD