Belkin Australia TuneCast Auto w/ClearScan
- ClearScan technology, all iPods with dock connector supported, PRO sound setting
- Can't run on batteries, only supports iPod units
We prefer the design of Belkin's TuneBase model, but the TuneCast Auto is still a worthy option boasting reasonable sound quality and the convenience of ClearScan technology.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Boasting the ability to work with both the iPod and the yet to be released in Australia iPhone, Belkin's latest FM transmitter continues the use of ClearScan technology which automatically finds the clearest FM station.
Although FM transmitters don't offer the best sound quality, they are increasingly popular due to their relatively inexpensive asking price and the fact that they don't need to be installed into your vehicle.
The TuneCast Auto allows you to power, charge and listen to your iPod all through a single unit. Although we prefer the holder design of the TuneBase FM w/ClearScan, the TuneCast Auto provides more flexibility, as it can be used with any iPod with the standard dock connector. The simple design sees one end plug into your cigarette lighter socket and the other end to your iPod or iPhone. The downside to the design is that the TuneCast uses your car power to operate and can't run on batteries. If you don't have a working cigarette lighter socket, you're out of luck.
In the middle of the cable is a small, backlit LCD display along with the controls. Operation is simple and straightforward – plug the unit in to power it on, press the ClearScan button to display the best frequency and then match the frequency displayed to your car stereo. ClearScan is particularly convenient on long trips – if the frequency starts to drop out as you are driving you can simply press the button to search for a clearer frequency.
If ClearScan doesn't identify a frequency, the FM band may be too crowded. This could be an issue, though it depends on what area you are driving in. Alternatively, you can choose to manually select a frequency if you wish. Just find a clear frequency on your car stereo, and match it on the TuneCast Auto using the + and - buttons.
The TuneCast Auto features two presets (m1 and m2), as well as a PRO setting. PRO increases the average volume and transmits in mono instead of stereo. If you are struggling to receive a clear signal, this may help, though it's recommended for podcasts and audio books rather than music. There are three PRO settings which you can scroll through, but we found the normal sound setting worked fine during our tests. Like all of these units, sound quality isn't fantastic, but it's certainly good enough for the asking price.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTLead PMONSW
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- CCGun Java Developer wanted...VIC
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- CCService Desk Analyst - TelcoTAS
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW