BenQ Australia DW1620 Pro
- Fast, reliable burning.
- Nothing to speak of.
All up, this drive looks good, does not make too much noise when in full flight, and provided reliable write and read results.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Reliability is a key concern when creating discs, and the faster transfer rates get, the more prone to errors disc creation becomes. Because of this, BenQ has implemented technologies that aim to make every single burn as reliable as possible, especially when the laser nears the edge of the disc, where there is a higher amount of disc wobble.
Other technologies combat tilt and signal quality issues during burning. Signal issues, in particular, are important when burning to double layer discs, as a lot of light is needed to pass through the semitransparent top layer of a double layer disc.
Maintaining consistent signal strength across all areas of the disc is crucial, and this drive uses special power optimisation circuitry designed to achieve this.
So with all this technology lurking inside, how did this drive fare when we put it through its paces? Well, it produced consistent writing performance across DVD+R and DVD+R DL media, and was especially strong with DVD-R media. It was one of only two burners (at the time of writing) with the capability to burn to our 8X DVD-R discs at 12X. At this speed, it burnt a full DVD (including lead-in and out) in the review at 6 minutes and 11 seconds.
For enthusiasts, the drive ships with book-type management software, which changes the format of all created DVD+ media to DVD-ROM to make it more compatible with older DVD players. In our tests, DVD+R DL media was burnt this way and had no problems when inserted in several older DVD drives. This drive also ships with some video software that allows you to capture from DV and VCR sources, if you have FireWire or AV-input on your PC.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSAP Data Migration LeadNSW
- FTSalesforce DeveloperQLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTManager Portfolio PlanningQLD
- CCSAP FICO Support AnalystWA
- TPIntergration SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Marketing Analyst | Immediate startVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Drupal Developer / ArchitectQLD
- CCProduct Design AnalystNSW
- TPApplication DeveloperACT
- FTProject AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager | April 2017 - July 2018QLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - HealthQLD
- FTSecurity Manager (Adviser)ACT
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- FTArcFM/Gis Lead DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- TPSolution Architect - HealthQLD
- TPSenior Performance TesterQLD
- FTRecords Management Adviser - EL1ACT