BenQ Australia DW1640
- Feature rich, quick
- No DVD-RAM support
A great all-in-one burning solution. This drive has plenty of bells and whistles and delivers everything you would expect.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
Stepping up from the BenQ DW1620 Pro, BenQ is still trailblazing with the DW1640. This 8x DVD+R DL is setting the benchmark in double-layer burning, as is BenQ's $89 price tag. Across the board for all media this is a fast drive, only falling down a little with the DVD-RW turning in a 6x rate and no support for DVD-RAM.
The package is rich in features, with plenty of innovations to ensure quality burning. Write Right technology, Walking Optimal Power Control II, Anti-Dust Cooling System and the Air Flow Cooling allow for precision and temperature stability, but how good is the output? Good enough.
The 8.5GB DVD+R DL test burnt with a transfer rate of 8.9KBps which translates to a full disc in just 15 min. Equally impressive was the 4.2GB DVD+R 16x burn at 12.5KBps and transfer speed to the hard drive of 10.9KBps.
BenQ's bundled software includes Nero and its own Qsuite, that allows a lot more configurability and control of the drive. The best function here is the ability to change the Book Type settings so that any DVD+ media you write to will appear as a DVD-ROM, so it will be readable in older drives and DVD players. This setting is not the default, so be sure to change it before laser hits plastic - it is a huge plus in this drive's favour.
The QSuite also allows for a significant amount of media diagnostics before burning, so you can check for a warped disc or a range of other errors.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Nvidia's DGX-1 supercomputer packs the horsepower of 250 servers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Developer (.Net)SA
- FTFront End DeveloperACT
- CCNetwork Consultant - Bandwidth Assessment | 3 month contract into Defence | NV1+ACT
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- CCSAP Hanna ConsultantNSW
- CCIT Program ManagerACT
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCMS SCOM AdministratorVIC
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- FTGeospatial Support AnalystQLD
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- CCPEGA Developer / ConfigurerACT
- FTSenior Business Analysts - Payments or Disaster RecoveryVIC
- CCProgram Business Implementation Director- HR Payroll, FINSW
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCApplication DevelopersQLD
- FTJunior Web Developer | CBD | Digital AgencyVIC
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- FTImplementation / Deployment Specialist- Web Sphere, ESB, IIBNSW