BenQ Australia Joybook R55
- Above average performance
- Could be sturdier
While it could be a little sturdier, the abundance of connectivity options and the $2299 price make it a sensible purchase for anyone looking for a large, strong performing notebook.
Price$ 2,299.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Driven by an Intel Core Duo (1.66GHz) CPU and 1GB of 533MHz DDR2 RAM, BenQ's 15.4in Joybook R55 managed to complete most tests with relative ease. It took 157 seconds to encode 53 minutes worth of WAV files to 192Kbps MP3 files; it scored 88 in PC WorldBench 5, with fast results in video editing; it scored 11,982 in 3DMark 2001 SE, thanks to the installed GeForce Go 7400, but only mustered an 814 in 3DMark 2006, so it's not suitable for newer games.
Battery life using MobileMark 2002 was two hours and twenty minutes. Our worst-case scenario test lasted one hour and fifty minutes. This isn't exceptional, but balances nicely with the size of the screen and the level of performance it achieves.
It comes equipped with a 15.4in (1200x800) screen that delivers a clear image from all angles. Despite BenQ's claim that its 16ms is the fastest pixel response time available for a notebook, it still showed noticeable amounts of ghosting (using Windows' scrolling marquee screensaver as a test).
The hinges for the top bezel only allow it to open up to around 120 degrees, which can restrict vertical viewing angles. The hinges are mounted on the rear of the unit, which makes the bottom edge of the screen sit almost level with the keyboard. While snug, the keyboard is fairly comfortable to use and there's some simple hotkeys for Windows navigation. The build quality is solid overall, but flex is evident when holding the unit by its front edges.
It comes with a full set of ports and also has an 8x DVD-RW dual-layer drive.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Surface Pro 4 on sale at Microsoft's Sydney store on November 12
- Microsoft enters the notebook market with Surface Book
- Hands on: Microsoft's Surface Book is a stunner as both a tablet and a laptop
- Windows 10 device roundup features Lumia smartphones with Display Dock
- As Microsoft focuses on mobile, Windows 10 will be key
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW