BenQ Australia Joybook S72 v33
- Very light, bright display
- Nothing notable
Light, bright and sturdy; the S72 looks good and performs well too.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
This mid-sized, thin and light (2.2kg) notebook features a bright (200cd/m²) and unusually sized 14" widescreen display.
The S72 is a second-generation Centrino (Sonoma) model, featuring an Intel Pentium M processor 750 (1.9GHz) and 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi.
A 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics controller provides a maximum resolution of 1280 x 768 pixels on the LCD, plus S-Video TV-Out and VGA-out (external monitor) connections.
BenQ media centre software is supplied for DVD and CD playback and can be controlled using the bundled infrared remote that hides away in the single PC Card slot (ExpressCards aren't supported). The remote is also equipped with a laser pointer--perfect for presentations.
The keyboard doesn't have the best key travel, but is certainly serviceable and has program shortcut buttons above it. System status lights and a built-in microphone are located on the left of the front fascia. Headphone/optical audio-out and microphone jacks are also available.
Other features include an integrated four-in-one card reader, Wi-Fi on/off switch, four USB 2.0 slots and single FireWire, Ethernet and 56Kbps modem ports.
The Joybook S72 is well designed, with strengthened magnesium alloy casing, and special attention has been paid to heat management. It performed quite solidly in our tests, particularly in our battery life tests.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on with Asus ROG G752 and GeForce GTX 1070 (or holy crap this thing is fast!)
- Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 and 1060 for laptops break the mobile mold
- After delays, Lenovo finally ships its first OLED laptop
- Surface Pro 3's massive battery drain is a software problem, Microsoft says
- Early Android app support rolls out to two more Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCJunior/Intermediate Drupal web developer - APS Level 4/5 equiACT
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- CCData Migration SpecialistSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- FTDB2 Database AdministratorVIC
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCSenior Systems Integration Engineer (HIB)SA
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- CCSr. SQL Server DBANSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW
- FTSAP BASIS HANA ConsultantNSW