BenQ Australia Joybook S72 v33
- Very light, bright display
- Nothing notable
Light, bright and sturdy; the S72 looks good and performs well too.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
This mid-sized, thin and light (2.2kg) notebook features a bright (200cd/m²) and unusually sized 14" widescreen display.
The S72 is a second-generation Centrino (Sonoma) model, featuring an Intel Pentium M processor 750 (1.9GHz) and 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi.
A 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics controller provides a maximum resolution of 1280 x 768 pixels on the LCD, plus S-Video TV-Out and VGA-out (external monitor) connections.
BenQ media centre software is supplied for DVD and CD playback and can be controlled using the bundled infrared remote that hides away in the single PC Card slot (ExpressCards aren't supported). The remote is also equipped with a laser pointer--perfect for presentations.
The keyboard doesn't have the best key travel, but is certainly serviceable and has program shortcut buttons above it. System status lights and a built-in microphone are located on the left of the front fascia. Headphone/optical audio-out and microphone jacks are also available.
Other features include an integrated four-in-one card reader, Wi-Fi on/off switch, four USB 2.0 slots and single FireWire, Ethernet and 56Kbps modem ports.
The Joybook S72 is well designed, with strengthened magnesium alloy casing, and special attention has been paid to heat management. It performed quite solidly in our tests, particularly in our battery life tests.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- SSD adoption in laptops exceeds expectations
- Apple will refund you for your iMac hinge repair costs
- MacBook Pro teardown reveals pointless speaker grilles and hard-to-replace Touch Bar
- Apple leads tablet sales, but the iPad Pro is not its best seller
- Latest MacBook Pro price reset resembles shift to Retina in 2012
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Reporting Data Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCHadoop DeveloperQLD
- CCWeb Developer - Financial MarketsNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTIT Specialist - Application Blueprinting Engineer ( Developer)NSW
- TPXamarin DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Technology SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Performance Test AnalystNSW
- FTEnd Point Security AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Automation TesterSA
- CCITSM Process ExpertNSW
- FTSecurity AdministratorVIC
- TPJava Developer - ContractQLD
- CCService Desk Consultant - Must have baseline or NV1 clearanceNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerQLD
- FTJapanese Speaking Technical Support EngineerNSW
- CCEOI - TIBCO DeveloperWA
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- FTSupport EngineerNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- CCBusiness Specialist - TelcoQLD
- FTSenior Technical LeadNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 3 Managed Services ConsultantNSW
- FTHelpdesk Support- LANNSW