BenQ Australia Joybook S72 v33
- Very light, bright display
- Nothing notable
Light, bright and sturdy; the S72 looks good and performs well too.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
This mid-sized, thin and light (2.2kg) notebook features a bright (200cd/m²) and unusually sized 14" widescreen display.
The S72 is a second-generation Centrino (Sonoma) model, featuring an Intel Pentium M processor 750 (1.9GHz) and 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi.
A 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics controller provides a maximum resolution of 1280 x 768 pixels on the LCD, plus S-Video TV-Out and VGA-out (external monitor) connections.
BenQ media centre software is supplied for DVD and CD playback and can be controlled using the bundled infrared remote that hides away in the single PC Card slot (ExpressCards aren't supported). The remote is also equipped with a laser pointer--perfect for presentations.
The keyboard doesn't have the best key travel, but is certainly serviceable and has program shortcut buttons above it. System status lights and a built-in microphone are located on the left of the front fascia. Headphone/optical audio-out and microphone jacks are also available.
Other features include an integrated four-in-one card reader, Wi-Fi on/off switch, four USB 2.0 slots and single FireWire, Ethernet and 56Kbps modem ports.
The Joybook S72 is well designed, with strengthened magnesium alloy casing, and special attention has been paid to heat management. It performed quite solidly in our tests, particularly in our battery life tests.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- ASUS launches world’s first liquid-cooled gaming laptop
- Apple might show off iPhone 5se and iPad Air 3 at March 15 event
- Monster gaming laptop from CybertronPC packs latest desktop hardware
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Chromebooks are siphoning market share from Windows PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCIT Service Deliver & Improvement ManagerACT
- FTInternal Audit ConsultantACT
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- CCTest AnalystACT
- CCSolution Architect_Microsoft ArchitectureACT
- CCOracle Business Analyst / TrainerSA
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- CCDesktop Applications PackagerSA
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- CCImplementation AnalystNSW
- CCService EngineerVIC
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCProcurement Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- FTPrincipal Business Analyst (SQL/SAS)NSW
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- FTTeam Lead ITIL- Permanent OpportunityVIC