BitDefender Internet Security 2010
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 provides solid protection at a low price.
- Solid signature-based malware detection, good interface
- Had trouble stopping brand new malware, firewall warned about some popular apps
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 offers a good selection of useful internet Security tools and solid protection at a reasonable price. If you don't mind a few firewall notices, you should be happy with this suite.
Price$ 74.92 (AUD)
BitDefender gets a much-needed interface redesign for 2010. The new interface comes in three variations: a basic display with only three large icons and simple text, an intermediate design showing more detail, and an advanced interface for those who want to see granular details. Colour status indicators (red, yellow, and green) make it easy to see at a glance whether your PC is protected.
In detecting and disabling active infections, this suite proved effective. BitDefender Internet Security 2010 found all of the infected files and Registry entries and disabled 93 percent, but it completely removed only 40 percent of the malware, leaving traces behind.
In detection and disinfection of rootkits (stealth malware used to hide other malware infections), BitDefender Internet Security 2010 did well, detecting 97 percent of active and inactive rootkits. It disabled 93 percent of active rootkits, and fully removed 86 percent of rootkit samples. However, Kaspersky and McAfee both earned perfect scores across the board here.
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 did a poor job at detecting and blocking malware based on behavioral analysis (detecting malware based solely on how it acts); it detected 80 percent of test samples, blocked 40 percent, and removed only 6 percent of samples. These results are not a good sign. Behavioral detection is a good way of detecting brand-new malware threats for which no signature file exists.
The suite did put up decent results for signature-based malware detection. BitDefender Internet Security 2010 detected 96 percent of samples. The top performer in this test, by comparison, detected upwards of 99.9 percent of samples.
BitDefender Internet Security 2010's firewall was a bit noisy, warning us about the activities of some popular applications like CDBurnerXP 4, DivX 7, OpenOffice 3, and Picasa 3 that pose no threat. No other suite we tested had as many notable false positives.
In our battery of tests to determine how much a suite slows down a PC on which it's running, BitDefender did well, but it wasn't among the most efficient. Our test PC booted quickly, with BitDefender Internet Security 2010 improving the average startup time by roughly 3.5 seconds for a total of 43.46 seconds at startup. Like Norton Internet Security, BitDefender uses optimized scanning: It scans only the files that have changed since the last scan, thus improving performance during normal desktop operation. Despite this feature, scan speeds were around average; it took 4 minutes, 16 seconds to scan 4.5GB of data in our on-access scan test (which shows how well it scans files when they're opened or saved). Our top performer completed this test in 2 minutes, 51 seconds.
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 doesn't offer a lot of technical support options. We found the searchable knowledge base limited, and the company offers email support only if you can't find what you're looking for.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- DDoS attack shows dangers of IoT 'running rampant'
- Largest DDoS attack ever delivered by botnet of hijacked IoT devices
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FT.NET DEVELOPER | MID LEVEL | MEDIA INDUSTRYNSW
- FTSenior Middleware SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Programmer (HTML5/Java/Oracle) 161031/P/551Asia
- CCContract Programmer (Internet/Intranet) 161019/P/615Asia
- FTiOS Developer - PermanentWA
- CCTechnical Test AnalystACT
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTTechnical Writer / Instructional Designer - 3 mth contact - ASAP StartNSW
- CCSenior Network EngineerACT
- FTRelease CoordinatorACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - experience in IDAM a MUSTNSW
- CCDesktop SupportNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantNSW
- CCInfrastructure Specialist :SCOMWA
- CCSystems Engineer - NetApp, Exchange, ADNSW
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportSA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- TPSenior UI Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTDynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Voice & VideoACT
- CCIntegrated logistics support Manager (ILS)ACT
- FTProduct ManagerVIC
- FTJava/JEE DeveloperVIC