BlueAnt Z9i Bluetooth headset
The follow up to the original Z9, BlueAnt's Z9 offers the ability to pair with multiple devices simultaneously via multipoint Bluetooth
- Excellent voice quality, noise isolation, design, shirt-clip, different sized ear buds
- Volume buttons require a firm press, voice isolation notifications mute incoming audio
The BlueAnt Z9i slightly improves on its predecessor thanks to multipoint Bluetooth, making it one of the best Bluetooth headsets on the market.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 6 stores)
BlueAnt's Z9 is one of the best Bluetooth headsets we have ever reviewed. The BlueAnt Z9i is the follow up model and provides the same great call quality, as well as a few new features.
The BlueAnt Z9i Bluetooth headset looks almost identical to its predecessor, with a gloss black finish on the front and matte black casing on the sides and rear. The etched BlueAnt logo and flashing LED surrounding the multifunction button (MFB) are nice touches, as is the built-in shirt clip.
Soft rubber casing around the ear bud means the Z9i is comfortable to wear for extended periods, and both small and large ear buds are included. We found the small one perfect; we were able to wear the Z9i without an ear hook when using it.
The original Z9 Bluetooth headset included only the translucent ear hook in the sales package, but BlueAnt offers an additional rubberised hook with the Z9i. Both detachable ear hooks can be worn on either ear.
The key feature of the BlueAnt Z9i Bluetooth headset is once again the patented Voice Isolation Technology, which allows users to choose between two modes of voice isolation: standard and max. The former is for normal environments, while the latter should be used if there is significant background noise. These modes can be switched during a conversation by pressing the MFB; a voice lets you know what mode you are in, either "voice isolation max", or "voice isolation standard".
We were impressed with this technology and managed to achieve crisp and clear incoming and outgoing audio when using both modes. Slight background noise is still evident, especially in particularly noisy environments, but for most part, the audio was crisp and clear in both modes. Our only complaint is the voice that informs you each time you change the isolation mode; when it plays, you can't hear incoming audio for two or three seconds.
A new addition is multipoint Bluetooth: the BlueAnt Z9i can pair up to five devices, and it can also connect to two of these devices simultaneously. If connected to two phones you can be on one call, place that call on hold and answer an incoming call on the second phone. This is done simply by holding the volume up button for three seconds. A minor complaint is that the volume buttons are firm and require a forceful press to activate.
Pairing is effortless: hold down the MFB down for six seconds, until the blue light flashes, then pair with your mobile phone. Once paired, accessing different functions is easy; click the MFB to answer a call, and hold it for three seconds to end a call. Reject an incoming call by holding the MFB for three seconds when your phone is ringing, and redial your last number by holding the volume up button for three seconds.
Additional functions include activating voice dialling (provided this is supported by your phone), transferring a call from the headset to your phone, muting the microphone, activating call waiting and holding a conference call. The Z9i also assigns different ring-tones for known and unknown contacts.
The BlueAnt Z9i boasts 5.5 hours talk-time and 200 hours of standby time. BlueAnt includes an AC charger in the sales package, along with a flexible USB charger.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- 7 smartphone trends to watch this year
- As 5G approaches, 3G and 4G are still getting faster
- BlackBerry’s PRIV hits Australian shores
- Apple might show off iPhone 5se and iPad Air 3 at March 15 event
- Tablet shipments down, but detachables catch on
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Analyst Programmer(Crystal Report/Oracle)160127/AP/vhsAsia
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- FTWeb Programmer/ DeveloperVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCDesktop Support Engineer/Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSharePoint AdministratorACT
- FTIT Support AnalystNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/Mobile App) 160115/JP/vhaAsia
- CCIT Hadoop DevelopersQLD
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer 160120/AP/vvtAsia
- CCProgram Portfolio LeadVIC
- CCETL DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCSSIS/ SSRS ExpertVIC
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- CCSenior Systems Analyst (Biomedical)SA
- CCService Delivery Manager - Infrastructure/ApplicationsNSW
- CCInformation ArchitectQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW