Bose Mobile In-Ear Headset
Bose's Mobile In-Ear Headset, provides quality sound at a premium price.
- Looks good, comfortable, excellent sound quality, outstanding bass, in-line answer key and microphone
- Not a strong seal, no noise cancelling, call audio could be improved
If you're after a replacement for your mediocre mobile phone headphones, then you could do worse than the Bose Mobile In-Ear Headset. Although predictably pricey, it offers outstanding bass, excellent sound quality and good looks.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Bose has a reputation for producing high quality headphones and it has now branched into the mobile space. The Bose Mobile In-Ear Headset is suitable for a range of mobile phones including the Apple iPhone. It produces outstanding bass and excellent sound quality, but doesn't have a strong seal and lets in more external noise than we liked.
The Bose Mobile In-Ear Headset has one of the strangest headphone designs we've seen. In addition to a twisted black and white cord, the earbuds look like a cross between a UFO and a pancake. We think the design is attractive though, and it isn't all about looks — the Bose Mobile In-Ear Headset is very comfortable to wear, even for long listening periods.
Though described as in-ear headphones by Bose, the headset doesn’t sit as deep in the ear canal as in-ear monitors (IEMs). While this makes the earbuds more comfortable, it means the seal with your eardrum isn't as significant as with most IEMs — so more external noise is let in. For example, we could hear our keystrokes while typing this review and using the Bose Mobile In-Ear Headset at the same time (whoever said men can't multitask has clearly not taken a trip to the GoodGearGuide office!) Bose includes small, medium and large silicon tips in the sales package and they are easy to replace.
Overall sound quality is impressive, but it's bass that's the real star of the show. It is the most powerful of any portable headphones we've reviewed, without massively overpowering other elements of the music. The bass-heavy nature won't suit all listeners and will probably turn off most audiophiles — it's more suited to electronic and dance genres. The powerful bass slightly overshadows the treble, which isn’t as prominent or punchy as expected, but mid-range is detailed.
The Bose Mobile In-Ear Headset also includes an inline microphone and answer button. Using an iPhone, you can press the button once to pause, twice to skip tracks forward and three times to reverse skip tracks. Unfortunately, the controls don't include volume buttons, so you'll still need to adjust this using the iPhone itself. Audio quality for phone calls isn't as impressive as music. Our callers didn't complain, but incoming audio isn’t completely clear and our callers often sounded distant.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPBusiness Analyst (BI Focus)WA
- TPLinux System AdministratorQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTCampaign ManagerNSW
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- FTProject Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- FTContracts ManagerNSW
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTOSS Developer - BPM (Business Process Manager) SMEVIC
- TPSOE EngineerACT
- FTTester AnalystACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCAutomation DeveloperNSW
- TPEOI - Developer/Tester/Software EngineerACT
- FTLevel 2 Software & Hardware Support position.VIC
- TPRegional Level 2/3 Desktop Support AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure Architect - UrgentSA
- CCJava Developer / System Designer - Aus Citizens OnlyWA
- CCDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTIT Service Owner - Supply Chain TechnologiesNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsVIC
- FTSecurity EngineerACT