Brother International (Aust) MFC-8840DN
- Fast printing, quite small
- Slow scans
Lots of office-oriented features, quick performance, and high-quality printing make the MFC-8840DN a great workhorse for busy offices.
Price$ 1,199.00 (AUD)
Standing 55.4cm tall and weighing about 18kg, the MFC-8840DN is smaller and lighter than most other laser MFPs we have tested recently. Its simple, well-conceived front panel holds one-touch buttons for faxing, scanning and copying. A phone pad allows you to dial fax numbers, a speed-dial pad accommodates up to 40 fax numbers, and a large LCD reports on the unit's status and helps you navigate through myriad options.
The MFC-8840DN printed text at a speedy 15.5 pages per minute during our tests. The unit also printed graphics fast, at 7ppm. Its scan speeds, however, were unremarkable: the MFC-8840DN took 24.3 seconds to scan a 4" x 5" photograph at 100 dots per inch.
During testing, the MFC-8840DN printed dark, razor-sharp text. It also produced very good printed greyscale graphics that showed smooth transitions, good contrast and fine detail. Colour scans were impressive, too. Copies of a text document looked close in quality to the original.
Using the unit's scan button and LCD menu, you can scan to email or to the bundled PaperPort application, or save a scan as an image file.
Setting up the 8840DN over a network was similar to setting it up via USB. I installed the driver directly onto a client PC; from there, the setup application automatically installed the printer, scanner, and fax drivers along with the same software you get with a local connection. By typing the IP address you've assigned to the MFP in a standard browser, you can access the 8840DN's Web server, where you can handle an array of tasks. For example, you can view usage reports on fax transmission and activity, auto dialling, fax verification, fax forwarding and notification.
From this same page you can obtain maintenance information about the toner and drum, pages printed and scanned, paper jams and device status. As an administrator, you can also set and change passwords, and configure ports and network addresses (such as TCP/IP, Netware, DLC, AppleTalk, NetBIOS, POP3/SMTP) via the Web interface.
The MFC-8840DN comes with 32MB of memory, expandable to 160MB. It can hold 300 sheets of letter- or legal-size paper; and for an extra charge, you can add a 250-sheet paper tray.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- HP offers US$1 billion for Samsung's printer business
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC