Brother International (Aust) MFC-8840DN
- Fast printing, quite small
- Slow scans
Lots of office-oriented features, quick performance, and high-quality printing make the MFC-8840DN a great workhorse for busy offices.
Price$ 1,199.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 26 stores)
Standing 55.4cm tall and weighing about 18kg, the MFC-8840DN is smaller and lighter than most other laser MFPs we have tested recently. Its simple, well-conceived front panel holds one-touch buttons for faxing, scanning and copying. A phone pad allows you to dial fax numbers, a speed-dial pad accommodates up to 40 fax numbers, and a large LCD reports on the unit's status and helps you navigate through myriad options.
The MFC-8840DN printed text at a speedy 15.5 pages per minute during our tests. The unit also printed graphics fast, at 7ppm. Its scan speeds, however, were unremarkable: the MFC-8840DN took 24.3 seconds to scan a 4" x 5" photograph at 100 dots per inch.
During testing, the MFC-8840DN printed dark, razor-sharp text. It also produced very good printed greyscale graphics that showed smooth transitions, good contrast and fine detail. Colour scans were impressive, too. Copies of a text document looked close in quality to the original.
Using the unit's scan button and LCD menu, you can scan to email or to the bundled PaperPort application, or save a scan as an image file.
Setting up the 8840DN over a network was similar to setting it up via USB. I installed the driver directly onto a client PC; from there, the setup application automatically installed the printer, scanner, and fax drivers along with the same software you get with a local connection. By typing the IP address you've assigned to the MFP in a standard browser, you can access the 8840DN's Web server, where you can handle an array of tasks. For example, you can view usage reports on fax transmission and activity, auto dialling, fax verification, fax forwarding and notification.
From this same page you can obtain maintenance information about the toner and drum, pages printed and scanned, paper jams and device status. As an administrator, you can also set and change passwords, and configure ports and network addresses (such as TCP/IP, Netware, DLC, AppleTalk, NetBIOS, POP3/SMTP) via the Web interface.
The MFC-8840DN comes with 32MB of memory, expandable to 160MB. It can hold 300 sheets of letter- or legal-size paper; and for an extra charge, you can add a 250-sheet paper tray.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Big Data Digest: Rise of the think-bots
- FCC pushes TV spectrum auction to 2016 after legal challenge
- Apple mum as Mac owners tussle with Yosemite over Wi-Fi problems
- Apple Pay tops Tim Cook's to-do list in China
- The ratings: Most net neutrality groups get poor grades for funding transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW