CA Technologies Vet Anti-Virus
- Very simple to use, Easy to set-up and install
- Lacks some advanced features, E-mail scanning is time consuming
Recommended for the basic home user and doesn’t hog system resources, so it will be appreciated.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Computer Associates Vet Anti-Virus 2006 is a simple and very easy to use program which takes up minimal space on your PC, but if you're after advanced options, then perhaps it would be wise to look elsewhere.
The most impressive feature of Vet Anti-Virus is without doubt its simplicity and ease of use and this begins right from installation. The program took no less than 10 seconds to install on our PC and after a quick reboot, we were ready to go. Vet Anti-Virus only takes up a paltry 10MB of disk space, meaning those with heavily loaded machines will find it comfortable to use and it does not slow down your PC. Many programs of this type have a tendency to hog system resources and reduce your computer to snail-like speeds, so it was refreshing to see that Computer Associates have not fallen into this trap.
After installation and reboot, a quick start wizard appears which directs you to download the latest virus signature file update and activate the program. These updates are delivered almost on a daily basis to ensure that the software is always adequate to deal with new threats. If you don't like programs opening or pop-ups appearing when you start-up your computer (who does?), you can conveniently disable this quick start wizard.
The interface of the program itself continues with the simple yet effective theme. The main window uses a tab system to operate the software, which is highly intuitive and certainly very easy to get around. You can scan your entire computer, schedule a scan at a specific time and date or use selective scanning - which only scans specific files or folders which you can specify. The initial scan we performed on our test PC took less than five minutes and we had no issues with any files it detected. The entire operation was swift, extremely quick and done with a minimum of fuss - just how we like it.
The Automatic email scanning however was somewhat time consuming. It takes quite a while for the program to scan each outgoing and incoming message and if you need to send a quick e-mail before leaving the house, this poses a subtle, yet notable annoyance.
We were also impressed with what CA call "Real-Time Scanning", which means files are scanned as soon as they are opened, closed or saved to your PC, increasing protection and peace of mind. Other additions to this version include File Quarantine, which prevents you from fully erasing important system files and an advanced help system which we found very useful - even though we didn't have to use it very often.
CA also includes free product upgrades, free phone support and free access to a substantial online help service should you ever need it, which rounds out an extremely good value for money package. This is a program that anyone with a home PC should be able to use and for this, it's highly recommended. If you require more advanced options though, such as a Personal Firewall and Anti-Spam protection, you may be better off with a security suite instead of just anti-virus software.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo to integrate Amazon Alexa in Moto smartphones
- Google will start adding Assistant to Nougat and Marshmallow phones this week
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst / DeveloperNSW
- FTPart Time - IT Service Desk AnalystVIC
- TPPerformance Test Analyst - Perth BasedQLD
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW