CA Technologies Vet Anti-Virus
- Very simple to use, Easy to set-up and install
- Lacks some advanced features, E-mail scanning is time consuming
Recommended for the basic home user and doesn’t hog system resources, so it will be appreciated.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Computer Associates Vet Anti-Virus 2006 is a simple and very easy to use program which takes up minimal space on your PC, but if you're after advanced options, then perhaps it would be wise to look elsewhere.
The most impressive feature of Vet Anti-Virus is without doubt its simplicity and ease of use and this begins right from installation. The program took no less than 10 seconds to install on our PC and after a quick reboot, we were ready to go. Vet Anti-Virus only takes up a paltry 10MB of disk space, meaning those with heavily loaded machines will find it comfortable to use and it does not slow down your PC. Many programs of this type have a tendency to hog system resources and reduce your computer to snail-like speeds, so it was refreshing to see that Computer Associates have not fallen into this trap.
After installation and reboot, a quick start wizard appears which directs you to download the latest virus signature file update and activate the program. These updates are delivered almost on a daily basis to ensure that the software is always adequate to deal with new threats. If you don't like programs opening or pop-ups appearing when you start-up your computer (who does?), you can conveniently disable this quick start wizard.
The interface of the program itself continues with the simple yet effective theme. The main window uses a tab system to operate the software, which is highly intuitive and certainly very easy to get around. You can scan your entire computer, schedule a scan at a specific time and date or use selective scanning - which only scans specific files or folders which you can specify. The initial scan we performed on our test PC took less than five minutes and we had no issues with any files it detected. The entire operation was swift, extremely quick and done with a minimum of fuss - just how we like it.
The Automatic email scanning however was somewhat time consuming. It takes quite a while for the program to scan each outgoing and incoming message and if you need to send a quick e-mail before leaving the house, this poses a subtle, yet notable annoyance.
We were also impressed with what CA call "Real-Time Scanning", which means files are scanned as soon as they are opened, closed or saved to your PC, increasing protection and peace of mind. Other additions to this version include File Quarantine, which prevents you from fully erasing important system files and an advanced help system which we found very useful - even though we didn't have to use it very often.
CA also includes free product upgrades, free phone support and free access to a substantial online help service should you ever need it, which rounds out an extremely good value for money package. This is a program that anyone with a home PC should be able to use and for this, it's highly recommended. If you require more advanced options though, such as a Personal Firewall and Anti-Spam protection, you may be better off with a security suite instead of just anti-virus software.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Buggy Windows 7 cumulative update? Just tell us, says Microsoft
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Successful launch for second NBN satellite
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBusiness Analyst - HKMAAsia
- CCICT Project Reporting Planning CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Architect, Markets and ProductsNSW
- CCHead of Digital (Technology Manager - Digital Transformations)NSW
- CCCisco Wi-Fi Network Engineer - SurveyorNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (Internet/ Intranet) 161025/JP/vhaAsia
- CCIT Risk ManagerNSW
- CCAccounts Payable/Contract Officer- NSW Government backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Security AnalystVIC
- FTSenior programmer / ProgrammerAsia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTData Governance Project Manager | 6 month ContractNSW
- CCSAP FIORIACT
- CCFront End Developer (UI) - 12 Month ContractNSW
- CCResident Operation Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCProgram ManagerACT
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCDemand ManagerNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (System Backup Operation) 161014/ITA/523Asia
- CCSenior Security EngineerNSW
- CCResident Engineer - Nexus 2K, 5K, 7K & 9KNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCApplication Support DeveloperVIC
- CCIT Senior Systems Administrator- Server Patching RemediationNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 161013/JP/602Asia