CA Technologies Vet Anti-Virus
- Very simple to use, Easy to set-up and install
- Lacks some advanced features, E-mail scanning is time consuming
Recommended for the basic home user and doesn’t hog system resources, so it will be appreciated.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Computer Associates Vet Anti-Virus 2006 is a simple and very easy to use program which takes up minimal space on your PC, but if you're after advanced options, then perhaps it would be wise to look elsewhere.
The most impressive feature of Vet Anti-Virus is without doubt its simplicity and ease of use and this begins right from installation. The program took no less than 10 seconds to install on our PC and after a quick reboot, we were ready to go. Vet Anti-Virus only takes up a paltry 10MB of disk space, meaning those with heavily loaded machines will find it comfortable to use and it does not slow down your PC. Many programs of this type have a tendency to hog system resources and reduce your computer to snail-like speeds, so it was refreshing to see that Computer Associates have not fallen into this trap.
After installation and reboot, a quick start wizard appears which directs you to download the latest virus signature file update and activate the program. These updates are delivered almost on a daily basis to ensure that the software is always adequate to deal with new threats. If you don't like programs opening or pop-ups appearing when you start-up your computer (who does?), you can conveniently disable this quick start wizard.
The interface of the program itself continues with the simple yet effective theme. The main window uses a tab system to operate the software, which is highly intuitive and certainly very easy to get around. You can scan your entire computer, schedule a scan at a specific time and date or use selective scanning - which only scans specific files or folders which you can specify. The initial scan we performed on our test PC took less than five minutes and we had no issues with any files it detected. The entire operation was swift, extremely quick and done with a minimum of fuss - just how we like it.
The Automatic email scanning however was somewhat time consuming. It takes quite a while for the program to scan each outgoing and incoming message and if you need to send a quick e-mail before leaving the house, this poses a subtle, yet notable annoyance.
We were also impressed with what CA call "Real-Time Scanning", which means files are scanned as soon as they are opened, closed or saved to your PC, increasing protection and peace of mind. Other additions to this version include File Quarantine, which prevents you from fully erasing important system files and an advanced help system which we found very useful - even though we didn't have to use it very often.
CA also includes free product upgrades, free phone support and free access to a substantial online help service should you ever need it, which rounds out an extremely good value for money package. This is a program that anyone with a home PC should be able to use and for this, it's highly recommended. If you require more advanced options though, such as a Personal Firewall and Anti-Spam protection, you may be better off with a security suite instead of just anti-virus software.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 3 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 4 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCDocument ControllerNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Project Officer HSQQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaACT
- TPSharePoint DeveloperQLD
- FTTester AnalystACT
- TPProduct ManagerVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorACT
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCPMO Analyst - Telco - MelbourneVIC
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- TPAutomation TesterQLD
- FTDelivery ExecutiveSA
- FTSpatial technical officerACT
- TPSAS DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Analyst (Mid-level)VIC
- FTSenior BI AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Java EngineerWA
- CCData Warehouse SpecialistQLD
- CCEnd User Services ArchitectNSW
- CCIXD/Interaction DesignerVIC
- TPSenior Full-Stack DeveloperSA
- TPProject Reporting DeveloperSA
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)VIC