CanoScan LiDE 200 scanner
If you're looking for an affordable flatbed scanner that turns photos into high-quality digital images, the Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 is a worth a look.
- Speedy performer, Compact design
- Doesn't scan film, Limited OCR features
The Canon CanoScan LiDE 200's main limitations are that it scans only reflective items (no film scans) and it can't do much in the way of OCR. We were able to create searchable PDFs and plain-text (.txt) files from various documents, but we couldn't save multicolumn layouts (including tables and graphics) in RTF, Microsoft Excel, or any other editable file formats. If you don't need to scan film or perform a lot of OCR, the portable Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 is a compact and energy-efficient scanner.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
But the Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 has some drawbacks, including skimpy OCR functions and the inability to scan transmissive items (such as film).
The sleek 1.6Kg Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 is roughly the size of a laptop PC and just as portable. We tested a production model, which was easy to install and use. Its energy-efficient design (2.5 Watts maximum power consumption) uses a single cable for both USB and power. Four handy buttons automate common tasks (copy, scan, PDF, email), and in my tests they were easy to customize.
Canon's ScanGear software conveniently provided a choice of control modes (basic, advanced, auto), and the bundled ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5 offered a thorough selection of tools for editing and manipulating my scanned images. To keep the Canon CanoScan LiDE 200's cost down, however, Canon elected not to include an optical character recognition (OCR) application in the software bundle.
In a range of tests, which included scanning from a variety of originals (such as an old, faded photo), the Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 churned out good-looking colour and monochrome scans at a fast clip.
It took only 10.6 and 15 seconds, respectively, to scan a 4-by-5in photo at 600dpi and a full-page colour document at 300dpi — both faster scores than what we've seen from competing scanners we've recently tested. The Canon CanoScan LiDE 200's image quality was generally very good, too, with crisp details and accurate colour, and its fading and backlight correction features greatly improved old family photos.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- Russia will strike US elections again, FBI warns
- ASIC to offer blockchain guidance to businesses
- Qantas to back startups in innovation push
- BlackBerry readies a more secure version of the Samsung Galaxy S7
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst AgileQLD
- FTSystems AdministratorNSW
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTTeam LeaderNSW
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTDatabase DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCIT Project Scheduler- Port MacquarieQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSnr Security Architect - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCAgile Project ManagerNSW
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantWA
- FTSolutions Architect - Digital Technologies Financial ServicesQLD
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- FTCCTV Sales & SupportNSW
- TPProject SchedulerVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- TPGIS Resource Data & TestingQLD
- CCNetwork and Cloud SMENSW
- CCAutomation TesterQLD