Canon PIXMA iP4850 inkjet photo printer
This Canon PIXMA inkjet printer can produce great photos
- Low initial price for good quality A4 and 6x4in photo prints, automatic A4 plain paper duplexing
- Ongoing ink costs can be high if printing photos in High quality, no card slots for direct printing
If you've got a digital camera and would like to make some 6x4in or A4 photo prints at home, the Canon PIXMA iP4850 is attractively priced. Costing only $159, it's able to produce good quality colour printouts and reasonable greyscale prints. It's not especially fast and it uses a lot of ink to print photos using the highest quality setting, but its low initial cost makes it a good value proposition.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Canon's PIXMA iP4850 is a mid-range inkjet document and photo printer. The PIXMA iP4850 has the same basic printing specifications as the Canon PIXMA MG5250 multifunction, but drops scanning and copying as well as the inbuilt colour screen to keep costs down. It's a lot cheaper, too; at $159 it's Canon's cheapest printer with a 1-picolitre print head, which offers good detail for both colour and greyscale prints.
Canon PIXMA iP4850: Design, connectivity and set up
The Canon PIXMA iP4850 doesn't have a flatbed scanner for scanning or copying documents, it doesn't have an LCD colour screen and it doesn't have any memory card slots for direct printing. We're only particularly concerned about the last omission — with the PIXMA iP4850 positioned as a photo printer, it would have been a useful inclusion. The PIXMA iP4850 is PictBridge-compatible though, so you can connect your camera directly and print that way (although you'll need to have the cable handy, and knowledge of your camera's printing interface).
Paper handling for the Canon PIXMA iP4850 is provided by a 150-sheet rear tray and 150-sheet cassette. When plain paper is loaded through the rear tray, the PIXMA iP4850 can automatically print on both sides — useful if you're trying to cut down on paper costs. You can simultaneously load around 20 sheets of photo paper (A4 or 6x4in). The PIXMA iP4850 defaults to plain paper in the cassette and photo paper in the tray, but you can change this within the maintenance settings of the printer software. Setting up the Canon PIXMA iP4850 and its software is a simple task that only takes around 10 minutes. The printer has two USB ports; the rear connector allows a PC to be connected while the front handles PictBridge.
Canon PIXMA iP4850: Printing quality and ink costs
The Canon PIXMA iP4850 is a competent document and photo printer. In Standard quality mode both monochrome and colour A4 documents have fine detail with no visible oversaturation or excessive ink. We found Standard quality to be more than detailed enough for everyday document prints — if you want the absolute best, High quality mode does make colour areas a little more vibrant. Automatic duplexing works well and is easy to set up and use.
Individual cyan, magenta, yellow and photo black cartridges makes the Canon PIXMA iP4850 an excellent option photo printing option if you aren't willing to shell out for a pigment-based printer like the Canon PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II. The PIXMA iP4850 is able to produce very fine image detail in its well-saturated photo prints, with very few visible flaws. We did notice a small amount of detail loss in yellow areas of prints. Greyscale prints are also well handled, with only a small amount of graininess visible on gradients and good detail in darker areas.
The ongoing running costs of the PIXMA iP4850 are reasonable going on Canon's quoted print figures. However, take into account the number of photos you intend to print, as these figures represent the rated page yields in terms of colour and monochrome text documents — photo printing consumes significantly more ink, so you'll need to replace cartridges sooner. A full set of inks will set you back $119.75 at Canon's recommended retail price, although we found them cheaper from online stores. The Canon PIXMA iP4850 has a combined ongoing running cost of 4.98 cents per A4 colour page, while black documents are cheap at 0.7c per A4 sheet.
Canon Australia's environmental policy
Canon places a heavy emphasis on environmental responsibility, with a dedicated section of its Web site educating consumers about PIXMA printers' green credentials.
The Canon PIXMA iP4850 produces detailed documents and photos, and running costs are bearable if you're not exclusively printing high quality photos.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- HP offers US$1 billion for Samsung's printer business
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- CCMidrange ProvisioningNSW
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- TPChange AnalystQLD
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD