Canon PIXMA MG8150 inkjet multifunction printer
This top-of-the-line inkjet multifunction printer from Canon is packed with features
- Good print quality and print speed, bundled film scanner, excellent scan quality, useful direct printing features
- Touch-sensitive controls are unnecessary, no included USB cable, no film scanning guides
Canon's PIXMA MG8150 is an inkjet multifunction printer that prints quickly and quietly and has excellent scan quality. Extra features like wireless networking and direct document printing are also included and implemented well. We only have misgivings about the PIXMA MG8150's unnecessary touch-sensitive control system.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
The Canon PIXMA MG8150 is a multifunction inkjet printer that has every feature a home user could want — good document and photo print quality, an excellent scanner for documents or film negatives, and wireless connectivity and direct printing. Its touch-sensitive interface isn’t especially easy to use, however.
Canon PIXMA MG8150: Design, setup and connectivity
Canon’s PIXMA MG8150 has a similar layout to other PIXMA models like the PIXMA iP4850, but it is wider and taller at 470x392x199mm. A 3.5in LCD screen in the centre of the printer’s top panel has an easily understandable graphical interface, but the touch-sensitive buttons beneath it aren’t as easy to use as we'd like. Because there is no physical feedback it is possible to press them twice accidentally if you’re not careful.
The Canon PIXMA MG8150 has an Ethernet port for connecting to a wired home network, and 802.11n Wi-Fi is included. There is a USB 2.0 port on the rear of the printer for connecting a PC (although there’s no USB cable included). A host USB port on the printer’s front allows PictBridge-enabled cameras or USB memory sticks to be accessed directly.
Setting up the Canon PIXMA MG8150 is simple. Inserting the print head and six ink tanks is fiddly, but an on-screen guide makes it easy. Installing the supplied software takes around 10 minutes, but a comprehensive suite of maintenance and printing programs is included.
Canon PIXMA MG8150: Printing quality, speed and options
The Canon PIXMA MG8150 uses six ink tanks to produce impressive results for both plain text documents and photos. It’s a quiet and reasonably fast inkjet printer, producing around 12 monochrome pages per minute at standard quality settings in our tests. A 20-page colour A4 document was printed in just over two minutes (9ppm). If you’re looking to save on paper costs the Canon PIXMA MG8150 is a smart choice — it has an automatic double-sided printing option for standard A4 paper.
The quality of the Canon PIXMA MG8150’s colour prints are very good, with sharp image detail and realistic gradation in colours. Printing high quality images on photo paper consumes lots of ink and takes significantly longer than printing a document, but the results are worth it. Thanks to a dedicated grey ink cartridge the PIXMA MG8150’s greyscale output is clean and detailed, with no visible banding in darker image areas.
Canon PIXMA MG8150: Scan quality and speed
The Canon PIXMA MG8150 has one of the most detailed flatbed scanners we’ve seen in a consumer multifunction printer. With a maximum resolution of 4800x4800dpi it’s able to extract a great deal of fine detail out of colour and text documents and photos. If you’re looking to digitise old photographs for posterity, the PIXMA MG8150 is up to the task. Built-in film scanning — for 35mm negative and slide frames — might interest anyone with a collection of old photographs, although the quality won’t be as good as a dedicated 35mm film scanner and there’s no bundled film scanning guides.
Scans are quick to perform when quality isn’t set to maximum levels, but 4800x9600dpi scans of film and 4800x4800dpi document scans increase the time considerably. The Canon PIXMA MG8150’s flatbed scanner is quiet throughout its operation.
Canon Australia environmental policy
Canon places a heavy emphasis on environmental responsibility for its consumer printer range, with a dedicated section of its Web site educating consumers about PIXMA printers' green credentials.
The Canon PIXMA MG8150 is full of features, and has a reasonably high price tag to match. It’s an impressive all-round multifunction device — whether you’re printing documents, photos or scanning it can produce good quality results.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Dell XPS 13 laptop (early 2015 model)
- 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70 compact camera
- 3 HP Stream 8 tablet with Windows 8.1
- 4 Samsung Gear VR virtual reality headset
- 5 Alienware 13 gaming laptop
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Epson Australia launches its Future of Business Printing system
- da Vinci 1.0 AiO: the world’s first personal 3D scanner and printer is coming to Australia
- Hands on with MakerBot's 3D printed wood
- Hardcotton's Elemental promises easy 3D printing for under $1000
- Consumer 3D printer market growing, helped by crowdfunding
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Ad Operations ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Ad Operations ManagerQLD
- FTAgency Sales Manager - Software Sales - Major Global Tech Company!NSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Producer | MobileNSW
- CCMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- CCMobile iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior SQL DBANSW
- FTMarketing Executive | MusicNSW
- FTDigital Communications Specialist | Internet Services| BrisbaneNSW
- FTCRM Campaign ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Release EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Producer - Mobile AppsNSW
- CCDBA (Oracle/SQL)NSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTEmail Campaign Manager - leading fashion group!NSW
- CC.Net Solution ArchitectNSW
- FT.Net Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTMobile Sales managerNSW
- FTDigital Producer - ConsumerNSW
- CCInformation ArchitectNSW
- CCMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- FTMedia Sales Executive - Client Side!!NSW