Canon PIXMA MX850
Good choice for a small/home office
- Excellent print quality and speed
- Scanner quality isn't great
Canon touts the Canon Pixma MX850 as a multifunction powerhouse, and it's worthy of such a description. On top of being fast, easy to use, and excellent at outputting documents and photos, the MX850 includes features such as a duplexer and an automatic document feeder — making it an office-friendly printer. Despite its less-than-impressive scanner output, the Pixma MX850 is a stellar choice.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
The Canon Pixma MX850 is Canon's all-in-one scanner, copier, fax machine, and inkjet printer built for the small office or home office.
The Canon Pixma MX850 prints impressively crisp, legible text that's comparable to laser quality. Add to that speedy performance, solid print results, and extra perks, and you have a superb multifunction printer.
The MX850 is a bit bulky, at 14kg, but it sets up in a snap. The Canon Pixma MX850's printer uses a five-colour ink system, which includes the four traditional dye-based colours (cyan, magenta, yellow and black) and a special pigment-based black to achieve exceptional clarity. After assembling the print head and inserting the ink cartridges, you connect the device to your PC via USB 2.0 or Ethernet and install the software drivers.
Copying, scanning, faxing and photo printing are accessible through the Canon Pixma MX850's button-control panel, and menus are intuitive and easy to read on the printer's 2.5in LCD. The photo-card reader, located behind a convenient door on the right side of the printer, supports the most commonly used memory cards used by digital cameras.
Since you can use most of the Canon Pixma MX850's features via the Control Panel, you'll most likely be using the device with your PC only when printing documents or scanning media, which the MX850 handles very well. Canon's software for both printing and scanning is very straightforward and works smoothly with both Windows (2000/XP/Vista) and Apple's Mac OS X (10.3.9+).
We like that the Canon Pixma MX850's scanner driver provides advanced image options, offering flexible control over scans.
Copying on the Canon Pixma MX850 is a pleasantly problem-free experience, especially when using the built-in automatic document feeder. Two large buttons allow you to choose between black-and-white or colour copying; you use the arrow buttons for setting the number of copies and the copy quality.
The Canon Pixma MX850 turned in exceptional text-printing results. In our tests, the printer's text appeared as crisp and legible as you could ever expect from an ink-jet printer. Photo prints were similarly impressive. Our test print of a picnic scene looked brighter and redder than our control photo, but overall it looked very clean and pleasing.
When we tested the Canon Pixma MX850's copier, it did a good job reproducing colours and it captured surprisingly fine details.
Our jury found the scan quality to be the least impressive of the Canon Pixma MX850's output capabilities. In our test scan of a photo, reds looked muted, and some bright colours appeared intensified. We also tested the scanner's clarity by scanning a line chart, and the lines were noticeably jagged and poorly distinguished.
In a busy office environment, a printer's speed is as important as its quality. The Canon Pixma MX850 turned in very fast results. In our testing over a USB 2.0 connection, the Pixma MX850 took 1min 17sec to print a 10-page Word document, 16sec to print a one-page Word document, 1min 26sec to print a four-page PDF, and 59sec to print a 22MB Photoshop image. The Canon Pixma MX850's scanner was also very speedy, taking 28sec to scan an 8x10in photo at 600 dots per inch (dpi), and 37 seconds to scan a 4x6in photo at 1200dpi.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager, Infrastructure Migration, AWS CloudNSW
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW
- CCFunctional & System Integration Test AnalystACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTPMO SpecialistACT
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- FTData AnalystsWA
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW