Capcom Mega Man 9
A wonderful throwback to the glory days of the NES.
- Faithful throwback to the series' roots — a definite treat for fans of classic gaming
- It's freaking hard — your gaming mettle will seriously be challenged by this one
Yes, Capcom did a masterful job of recapturing the old school vibe — you'll swear you were back in 1987 when you play this game-but it's so freaking difficult that it's downright discouraging. Still, with its low price and faithfulness to the franchise's roots, it's definitely worth the download.
I'd forgotten how brutally tough old school games could be but Mega Man 9, the new yet decidedly retro game from Capcom, quickly set me straight. A wonderful throwback to the glory days of the NES, Mega Man 9 looks, sounds and plays like the classic Mega Man games of old. But that's definitely a mixed blessing because it's also freaking hard.
The Blue Bomber Returns
I'll warn you again: navigating the devious trap-filled levels and killing off the cleverly designed bosses in Mega Man 9 requires some serious skill; it almost feels like the developers were purposefully trying to make the game unbeatable. Several GamePro editors sat down one day, intent on beating the game; hours later, we walked away without having even beaten one stage. Even reaching the boss fights on certain stages require ridiculous feats of gaming prowess. I finally found one stage where I could consistently reach the end-Splash Woman's underwater fortress of doom-but the slippery mermaid robot proved too hard for my pathetic gaming skills. It wasn't until the game glitched (or did it find compassion for our plight?) and gave Features Editor Dave Rudden every single power-up that we were finally able to bring her down.
Expect broken controllers
Hardcore gamers will no doubt want to take on Mega Man 9 just for bragging rights-good luck getting the achievements though: some of them just plain ridiculous-but what about the average gamer who's just looking to recapture some old school NES magic without getting their robotic asses handed to them over and over again? For these poor gamers, Mega Man 9 might be more trouble than it's worth.
I'm still going to recommend you check out the title, though, because it shows that Capcom cares about its loyal fanbase and because it's such a well executed throwback to the series' roots. Besides which, it's DLC so it isn't like you're going to break the bank on it. However, with that said, I'm going to give you fair warning now that your gaming mettle will be tested and that, more likely than not, you will probably fail, over and over again.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTData AnalystQLD
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectWA
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- CCProject Specialist l Large Media Capital Investment ProgramNSW
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- CCTransport Planner - GIS SpecialistNSW
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2QLD
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT