Centrex Technologies CTDV400HD
- True HDTV output at 1080i resolution, informative EPG, plenty of output options
- Remote lacks some basic buttons
The CDTV400HD offers a great HDTV experience. Operation isn't as well integrated or intuitive as it could be, but the box itself still does absolutely everything it should.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Centrex's CTDV400HD brings crystal-clear high definition digital television straight to the user. With a compatible television, resolutions of up to 1920 x 1080 are possible.
The CTDV400HD is a lot larger than Centrex's SD receiver, the CTDV100. The back panel is intimidating at first, sporting a number of connections and switches. Once figured out, though, the CTDV400HD offers a multitude of connection options, including composite and DVI.
The remote control is well laid out and marked, with a row of coloured buttons at the bottom of the remote providing various functionality, depending on which menu the user is currently accessing. A few functions are missing from the remote, although the menu system does provide access to everything except resolution changes.
A full scan on the Centrex takes no longer than two or three minutes, and brings up a wide variety of regular broadcast channels, high definition channels, extra channels, datacasts and radio stations. Unfortunately for the user, however, there's no way to alternate between just TV or just radio, which makes flipping up or down through channels an unnecessarily tedious process. The favourites system does offer a viable solution to this, allowing different sub-categories in the favourites menu to be created.
While a lot of the features on the CTDV400HD may be hard to use at first, being poorly integrated or difficult to find, once established, Centrex's CTDV400HD performs as a high-quality digital TV receiver.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- 4K Chromecast Ultra details leak ahead of Google event
- Sonos comes to the Apple store, but what does that mean for Beats speakers?
- Plex Cloud lets you say goodbye to your always-on home media server
- Sony's first 4K Blu-ray player reminds you what a steal the Xbox One S truly is
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW