Chord Electronics Chordette Gem
High-end audio specialist Chord Electronics has the world’s first stereo Bluetooth audio adaptor.
- Good sound quality
- Need to set volume carefully
At around £400, this is not a cheap solution to hearing music from your mobile phone or PC. But aside from a second string to its bow — USB audio playback — it stands as only the world’s second such product that can retrieve music wirelessly from your A2DP Bluetooth-equipped mobile phone. The first is the company’s own QBD 76 DAC, at nearly eight times the price.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
From UK high-end audio specialist Chord Electronics comes a true crossover product, a digital audio converter expressly designed to become the missing link between a mobile phone and a stereo hi-fi system.
The Chordette Gem resembles a scaled-down version of Chord's respected QBD 76 digital-to-analog converter (DAC). While the QBD 76 — priced at £3000 — uses proprietary conversion techniques to raise its game against strong audiophile competition, the Chordette Gem uses less expensive converter technologies, and is limited to two types of input connection.
It can accept digital audio either through Bluetooth, using the advanced audio distribution profile (A2DP), or via USB.
Once paired with a mobile phone, Mac or PC, any MP3 or similar music files can be beamed through the aether and received via the Chordette Gem's folding rubber antenna. We found the Chordette Gem's range to extend up to around 8 metres before drop-outs became audible, so should work well in most people's living rooms.
The Chordette Gem unit is milled from high-quality aluminium in a choice of six colourful anodised finishes, and features the company's trademark 'porthole' window on top, allowing you to see the LED-illuminated electronics within.
In listening tests, we found sound quality was good, if limited somewhat by the inevitable on-the-fly lossy compression applied to the audio signal before it's transmitted to the Chordette Gem. Beware, therefore, that even pristine WAV or lossless files will carry some hint of 'MP3ness' to them. As the A2DP protocol evolves, expect to see this improve as better codecs come into use by hardware manufacturers.
Meanwhile, the USB input option has no such limitations, and gave us one of the best quality USB audio playbacks we've encountered. Digital 'glare' was notably absent, with a smooth, analogue-like richness to the sound that nevertheless replayed detail aplenty.
You will need to set level carefully when playing back from both Mac OS X and Windows, adjusting volume level to around 50 per cent to avoid digital clipping, which is heard as unpleasant overload distortion.
When set up correctly, the Chordette Gem defies its diminutive size by conjuring up a big, warm sound that will get the best from digital audio from your PC.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTData AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- CCMidrange ProvisioningNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)WA
- TPSenior Network EngineerWA
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT