Corel Paint Shop Pro X
- Retouch tools, More advanced features for professionals, Bundled with Photo Album 6.0
- Doesn’t offer all of Photoshop’s features
Offering excellent competition to Adobe Photoshop minus the hefty price tag, Paint Shop Pro comes recommended for both the casual and more professional user.
Price$ 229.95 (AUD)
Those of you who trialed the Beta version of Paint Shop Pro X would know what whilst it was an impressive program, it required substantial improvements in performance to be considered a piece of software worth investing in.
The good news is that the final version is much faster, particularly when applying certain filters. While version 9.0 of the program concentrated on providing a competitor to Photoshop - at a fraction of the price - that could happily be used by professionals, Paint Shop Pro X has made a number of innovations that make it more accessible to occasional users.
The improved Learning Centre streamlines common tasks and provides context-sensitive help and will be a big aid to those who are less experienced but want to access various time-saving tools. The Retouch Tools, for example, can provide a complete makeover for a portrait in moments - removing wrinkles and blemishes - and the Red-Eye removal will be useful for amateur snappers.
Paint Shop Pro also packs in and improves many of the other features that have made this a popular option in the past, including extensive vector tools for adding drawings as well as slightly more gimmicky tricks such as the Picture Tube and Warp brush. Professionals will be more attracted by advanced features for colour management and batch processing, getting through time-consuming.
The fact that Corel has now bundled Photo Album 6.0, tutorials and Pixmantec RawShooter - for working with RAW files directly from your camera - makes this particularly good value. As performance is also improved in the final release, Paint Shop Pro is highly recommended for serious amateurs or professionals who want most of Photoshop's power without the price.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Google's Trusted Contacts pings your loved ones when you need them most
- Chrome 55 pushes Flash into the background
- Chrome bug triggered errors on websites using Symantec SSL certificates
- 2016 will be 1 second longer: Google can help you cope
- How to restore missing desktop icons on Windows
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTMiddleware Specialist / Systems AdministrationNSW
- CCPerformance Test AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Software Engineer Developer | 6mthsVIC
- CCUAT TesterQLD
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerSA
- TPSQL/BI DeveloperNSW
- FTAnalyst Programmer Investment BankingVIC
- TPBusiness Solutions Analyst - Legacy SystemQLD
- FTSecurity Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTAPI Design LeadVIC
- CCProject Manager DW BINSW
- FTSENIOR DEVELOPERQLD
- CCUI DesignerNSW
- FTSAP PM/ MRS ConsultantNSW
- FTIT Client Support AnalystNSW
- CCProduct Manager - Life Insurance (Fixed-Term)VIC
- CCCX Program LeadNSW
- CCSIEM SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior UX DesignerNSW
- FTFull Stack PHP DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst- Agile DigitalVIC
- FTService Delivery Management LeadQLD
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSolution Designer and DeveloperNSW
- CCCapacity and Performance AnalystVIC