Corel Paint Shop Pro X
- Retouch tools, More advanced features for professionals, Bundled with Photo Album 6.0
- Doesn’t offer all of Photoshop’s features
Offering excellent competition to Adobe Photoshop minus the hefty price tag, Paint Shop Pro comes recommended for both the casual and more professional user.
Price$ 229.95 (AUD)
Those of you who trialed the Beta version of Paint Shop Pro X would know what whilst it was an impressive program, it required substantial improvements in performance to be considered a piece of software worth investing in.
The good news is that the final version is much faster, particularly when applying certain filters. While version 9.0 of the program concentrated on providing a competitor to Photoshop - at a fraction of the price - that could happily be used by professionals, Paint Shop Pro X has made a number of innovations that make it more accessible to occasional users.
The improved Learning Centre streamlines common tasks and provides context-sensitive help and will be a big aid to those who are less experienced but want to access various time-saving tools. The Retouch Tools, for example, can provide a complete makeover for a portrait in moments - removing wrinkles and blemishes - and the Red-Eye removal will be useful for amateur snappers.
Paint Shop Pro also packs in and improves many of the other features that have made this a popular option in the past, including extensive vector tools for adding drawings as well as slightly more gimmicky tricks such as the Picture Tube and Warp brush. Professionals will be more attracted by advanced features for colour management and batch processing, getting through time-consuming.
The fact that Corel has now bundled Photo Album 6.0, tutorials and Pixmantec RawShooter - for working with RAW files directly from your camera - makes this particularly good value. As performance is also improved in the final release, Paint Shop Pro is highly recommended for serious amateurs or professionals who want most of Photoshop's power without the price.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Google Maps for Android adds 'OK Google' voice, navigation commands and other search tricks
- NBN ditches Optus HFC for FTTdp
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT