Corel Painter 11
If you're a Corel Painter user who's as likely to grab a virtual pencil or pen as a virtual paintbrush, you need this upgrade.
- Super-realistic new hard media tools, better Photoshop support
- Interface remains cluttered, priced for professionals (not amateurs)
Corel Painter 11 is a worthwhile upgrade overall — and a must if you have a Wacom Intuous or Cintiq tablet and use its virtual pencils, chalk, pastels and other nonpaint tools to do sketching.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Corel Painter may owe its name to oils and watercolors, but in version 11, art media and implements other than paint and brushes enjoy the spotlight. The thirty new Real Hard Media tools in Painter 11 give the venerable natural-media paint program for Windows and OS X its most uncanny re-creations yet of pencils, pens, pastels, chalk, and other classic drawing tools.
If you have a Wacom Intuos or Cintiq graphics tablet, you'll find that Real Hard Media tools react to the angle at which you hold the pen — so you can draw with the point of a 2B pencil for detail work, for instance, and then scribble back and forth with its edge to fill in large areas. Painter's markers are more realistic than ever, too: Like the ones sold in art stores, they let you build up color by layering strokes to darken an area. And new customisation options let you fiddle with existing hard media or create your own from scratch.
Painter 11 adds a few additional Photoshop-like features, including basic support for the PNG file format, a polygonal selection tool, and improved features for rotating, scaling, and skewing elements. Ultimately, though, Painter remains a natural-media specialist, not a Photoshop replacement — a fact that this new version acknowledges with better support for shuttling images between the two applications with their colors and layers intact. Color management in general is beefed up, so colors remain accurate as you save images in different formats and print them out on various media.
Painter's interface has received a few smart tweaks: The color wheel is resizable, as is the mixer for blending paints. However, I am one longtime Painter fan who continues to think that its user interface is pretty cluttered and could benefit from a more sweeping overhaul. Even so, if you want to do seriously realistic-looking traditional art on a computer, you need Painter. And if you're a Painter user who's as likely to grab a virtual pencil or pen as a virtual paintbrush, you need this upgrade.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCLinux EngineerVIC
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Internet/ Intranet) 160902/SA/222Asia
- CCOperational Applications Support AnalystNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCFunctional & System Integration Test AnalystACT
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- FTBusiness Analyst (Superannuation)NSW
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCVMWare SpecialistACT
- CCDeployment CoordinatorNSW
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/JBoss/SQL) 160831/AP/994Asia
- CCBig Data SpecialistNSW