Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus
- Edit footage captured in AVCHD and HDV, you can pause the intensive rendering operation
- You may need to upgrade your PC, doesn't support Blu-ray drives
Strong performer with high-def video; all video editors could use its "pause rendering" feature.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Video editing applications are starting to accept high-definition footage. But you may need to crank your PC up a notch: The shipping versions of Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus requires serious computing horsepower for editing in high def.
This app is one of the first to let you edit footage captured in AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition, the newer of the two high-def formats); it also lets you edit footage taken in HDV (High Definition Video). Both formats use very high compression, so they need a powerful processor to do the decoding.
Make that very powerful: for editing AVCHD footage, Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0 demands at least a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, a 256MB graphics card, and 1.5GB of RAM -- 2GB of RAM if you run the software on a Windows Vista PC. The program's requirements for HDV editing are lower. Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus specifies at least a 3GHz Pentium 4 with hyperthreading technology and 1GB of RAM for AVCHD or HDV.
We tried the application on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 system and a new Polywell 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo Extreme system. Our older PC comfortably met the application's minimum requirements for standard-definition video, and it had sufficient power to run the application. VideoStudio ran much more smoothly on the new system, of course, but VideoStudio outperformed its rival (Studio Ultimate 11.0) when working with high-definition video.
When outputting video in VideoStudio, you can pause the intensive rendering operation. This is a great feature if you need to use your computer for something else while you're exporting a movie.
You can burn HD movies to HD-DVD discs or standard DVD discs, and the burned discs will play in a PC's DVD drive with the aid of an application such as WinDVD 8 (which Corel includes with the Plus version of VideoStudio) or in an Xbox 360. At this point VideoStudio doesn't support Blu-ray drives, but Corel is planning to release free patches to offer such support.
If you own a camcorder that records in AVCHD format, we would recommend VideoStudio Plus on the strength of its stability and less onerous system requirements.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerSA
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW