Corel VideoStudio Pro X3
Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 adds graphics-card acceleration to speed up rendering performance
- Support for quad-core CPUs, GPU support, interface has been tidied up
- Creating picture-in-picture effects could be more straightforward, a decent manual wouldn't go amiss
New features aside, it's the improved performance of Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 that really makes it worth buying. The ability to apply complex transitions and special effects in real-time makes the editing process feel smoother and more responsive and really encourages you to experiment and explore the creative power in the program.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
We were wondering what would happen to VideoStudio Pro following the recent release of Corel's low-cost Digital Studio suite. But VideoStudio Pro is still going strong - in fact this new X3 version even comes bundled with a copy of the separate VideoStudio Express program, taken from Digital Studio to provide an ‘easy edit' option for those simple tasks like trimming clips or adjusting lighting.
Changes in Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 go a lot deeper than that, though. Under the bonnet, the program has been updated to provide support for quad-core processors such as Intel's Core i7. It can also use your PC's graphics processor (GPU) to speed up a number of transition and special effects.
This GPU support will work with most recent graphics processors, but the program has also been specifically optimised to work with nVidia graphics cards that use nVidia's CUDA technology.
We ran the program on Windows PCs that had both ATI and nVidia graphics cards and both PCs were able to apply effects such as mosaics, swirls and ripples smoothly and quickly and with no additional rendering or processing time. That's pretty impressive, given that both machines were relatively modest mid-range models.
The program's interface has been tidied up too. The long series of tabs and tools that used to run across the top of the main program window has now been reduced to just three tabs - labelled ‘Capture', ‘Edit', and ‘Share' - and all the additional tools you need are now folded into those three tabs.
So, if you click the ‘Edit' tab, the program switches into editing mode and the various transitions, effects and other editing tools are now organised into separate groups within the Library palette for easy access
On the editing side of things there's a new set of ‘Corel FX' filter effects, which include those accelerated swirls and mosaics we mentioned earlier, along with a rather nice ‘Sketch' effect that makes video clips look like hand-drawn animated artwork.
There's also a powerful new tool for creating picture-in-picture effects, although using this is a rather long-winded affair that requires a long list of options to be ticked and selected along the way, so Corel could make this process a bit more straightforward. A decent manual wouldn't go amiss.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystACT
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Project AnalystVIC
- FTProduct Manager - IoTNSW
- FTCapacity ManagerACT
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - PegaNSW
- TPProduct ManagerVIC
- FTMobile Studio Manager/ Mobile UX Manager - GAME CHANGER!NSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTSystems Administrator - TelecommunicationsNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTTeam Leader Application SupportVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Agile Test AnalystNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Solution Architect - PresalesNSW
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- CCCitrix SpecialistVIC
- TPPHP Developer - Immediate startQLD
- CCDesktop Support/ Field Services EngineerQLD
- FTChange Management LeadNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager (Wealth)NSW
- CCVisual DesignerACT