Cowon D2+ MP3 player
A touch-screen Cowon MP3 player with a great battery and a smooth interface.
- Good battery life, easily expandable memory, clear sound quality
- No AAC support, few video formats supported, menu scrolling can get tiresome
The Cowon D2+ is a rugged touch-screen MP3 player with a wide range of equaliser settings and features. This MP3 player may not be as refined as its competitors but it is a good performer in terms of sound quality and battery life.
Price$ 319.00 (AUD)
The Cowon D2+ is an update of the earlier Cowon D2 MP3 player that launched in 2007. As such the design of the D2+ is outdated and some specifications aren’t up to par, but the premier 16GB variant of this MP3 player is a solid alternative to the Apple iPod Touch.
The Cowon D2+ is a similar size to players such as the Archos 5 and the iRiver Spinn. A 320x240 pixel, 2.5in touch screen covers most of the 78 (W)x566mm(H) face. Supplementary controls are on one of the MP3 player’s sides.
The player has a chunkier feel than we expected — but this is understandable given it's based on the D2 — measuring 17mm thick. This has the advantage of making the Cowon D2+ MP3 player seem sturdier than the Apple iPod.
The screen of the Cowon D2+ isn’t as good as the iPod’s, with a slightly washed-out look. Brightness is good though and the image is consistently crisp. The user interface is Spartan, but we like its simplicity and familiarity. It is easy to navigate, though scrolling through the song browser can get tedious if you have a large library.
The main selling point of the Cowon D2+ is its sound quality. The bundled ear-buds are competent enough for low-quality MP3s but with a pair of expensive headphones, lossless music files and sound enhancement enabled, the Cowon D2+ really shines.
MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, WAV and APE files are supported, but there is a conspicuous lack of AAC decoding, which might annoy iTunes users. Video playback supports AVI, XviD and WMV — but not DivX.
Sound is crisp and rich, with plenty of bass and treble extension audible. There's a whole raft of enhancements available — Mach3Bass, 3D Surround, MP3 Enhancement and an adjustable five-band equaliser allow you to tailor the Cowon D2+’s sound output to suit your musical tastes.
Video playback is acceptable and 30 frames per second playback is supported. You will need to convert videos to a supported format and make sure they have a 320x240 resolution.
The usual set of extra features is included: FM radio, photo and text viewing and voice recording make an appearance. A notepad, calculator and game player are also offered. What interested us most, though, was the inclusion of an SD/SDHC card slot for expandable memory. This is a great feature as it allows you to add more storage for music, as well letting you view photos or videos off an SD card from a digital camera, for example.
Battery life is rated at an impressive 52 hours for audio and 11 hours for video. However, we managed to achieve a massive 54 hours of continuous audio playback at a moderate listening volume.
The Cowon D2+ may not have the most colourful screen or the slimmest body but it is proof that in the MP3 player world, looks aren’t everything.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- TPUI/UX ConsultantWA
- CCSAP Billing & Invoicing ConsultantNSW
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXACT
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- CCUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSystem EngineerVIC
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD