Creative Labs Aurvana DJ Headphones
- Deep bass, surprising highs
- Mid range very harsh, lacks clarity and tightness, fatiguing during long listening sessions
While these headphones are decent for bass heavy music their harsh, bloated mid range makes instrumental music difficult to listen to.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Unlike several years ago, if you're a music lover looking to purchase a pair of headphones these days you're spoiled for choice. Where once you could pick from a smattering of known and unknown brands such as Sony and Sennheiser, now there is a host of options. Thus it is no surprise to see Creative taking a stab at the market with its Aurvana DJ headphones. A full size set of over-the-ear headphones, they are a decent option if you're a dance music fan, but the overall sound quality and balance leaves a little to be desired for other genres.
This isn't really a surprise as the Aurvanas are billed as DJ headphones, but it is still disappointing for them to only perform with one style. As you'd expect, these headphones exhibited strong bass that extends deeply and resonates for a long time. It gave our dance music a nice kick but did tend to overshadow other elements in some of our more instrument driven tunes.
Meanwhile the highs were fairly good with a warm, sweet tone and minimal tinniness, which was a surprise considering the DJ slant of this model. Our piano based tunes rang out crisply and clearly.
However it was with guitar driven music that this model fell down. The mid range was extremely harsh, lacking any real clarity or smoothness. There was quite a bit of sibilance evident in cymbals and the sound was on the whole lacking in tightness and control.
We found the soundstage to be adequate but nothing special, with a fairly flat three-dimensional presentation. Overall, we'd say considering the price these headphones are a decent buy for bass heavy rap or dance music, but anything instrumental suffers from a lack of cohesion and clarity.
The design of the Aurvanas is fairly standard. They are comfortable to wear thanks to the pleather cups and headband and while they fit nicely they don't apply too much pressure to the head. The cups are extendible to help achieve a better fit and while they aren't noise-cancelling headphones they do block out a reasonable amount of external sound. Aesthetically speaking they are a little boring, with a blocky silver design that definitely won't stand out in a crowd. As is typical with DJ headphones the cord is long and has a spiral section enabling it to stretch to be even longer.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTDeveloper - XML & JavaVIC
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT role - Recent IT TAFE GraduateNSW
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT