Creative Labs Inspire 2500
- Great design, High quality sound, well priced, high volume
- Minor instances of muddy bass and flat mid-tones
A highly recommended speaker system for those on a limited budget who also want clarity from their PC audio.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Sleek, sexy and deceptively powerful, the Creative 2500 2.1 speaker system surprised us by its superior performance in all our tests. Completely black and uniform in design, the subwoofer thumps out 17 watts of bass and houses all the input and output connections. The satellite volume is controlled by a breakout in-line remote control while the bass level is controlled via a knob on the back of the subwoofer.
When testing bass we gave the six watt satellite speakers a thorough workout with everything from thumping R&B to a drum-heavy film score. We also used the system with the PC game F.E.A.R. (renowned for its audio quality) and were impressed by the resulting sound clarity. While there were a few instances where the bass got a little muddy, for the most part the subwoofer reproduced the bass with reasonable accuracy.
When testing the treble registers we opted to use higher pitched violin-heavy film score as well as Theremin-heavy score from "Ed Wood". In all our treble tests, the system performed remarkably well. Even when we threw constant pitch changes at the Inspire 2500, it adapted faultlessly, with no marked change in clarity or loss of information. The mid-tones survived our test reasonably well too, with only a few instances of the audio becoming a little flat.
The Inspire 2500 is capable of remarkably high volume with only little distortion at its peak. At those volumes, the subwoofer tended to vibrate and the audio lost much of its lustre but considering the excessive volume of our test in this instance, this is unlikely to be a problem the average user will come across.
The Creative Inspire 2500 2.1 speaker system sets out to achieve affordable good quality sound and should be commended for its success. While this is not the best speaker system we have reviewed, it does deliver a better quality than you would expect for the cost. On a limited budget, this is a system worth getting, providing the you have a reasonable sound card.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- AMD busts Ryzen performance myths, clearing Windows 10 from blame
- Nvidia supercharges GeForce DirectX 12 performance with new Game Ready driver
- Ryzen works with XMP memory profiles
- Beyond smartphones, Samsung wants its Exynos 9 chip in VR headsets
- Nvidia slashes GeForce GTX 1080 prices, reveals new overclocked memory options
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- TPBusiness Change ManagerQLD
- FTTechnical Data Business AnalystNSW
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- FTSystems AdministratorNSW
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTFunctional Consultant - CommercialsQLD
- FTSecurity Lead / ConsultantNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent jobACT
- FTArcFM DeveloperNSW
- FTDeployment Manager | ContractVIC
- CCITCM EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSolutions Architects - 10 roles availableACT
- CCSharePoint Developer - Multiple Roles - 3-6 Mth Contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCApplication Support Specialist- Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- FTEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- FTArchitect (Technical)NSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!QLD
- FTC# (Full Stack) DeveloperNSW