Creative Labs Inspire 2500
- Great design, High quality sound, well priced, high volume
- Minor instances of muddy bass and flat mid-tones
A highly recommended speaker system for those on a limited budget who also want clarity from their PC audio.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Sleek, sexy and deceptively powerful, the Creative 2500 2.1 speaker system surprised us by its superior performance in all our tests. Completely black and uniform in design, the subwoofer thumps out 17 watts of bass and houses all the input and output connections. The satellite volume is controlled by a breakout in-line remote control while the bass level is controlled via a knob on the back of the subwoofer.
When testing bass we gave the six watt satellite speakers a thorough workout with everything from thumping R&B to a drum-heavy film score. We also used the system with the PC game F.E.A.R. (renowned for its audio quality) and were impressed by the resulting sound clarity. While there were a few instances where the bass got a little muddy, for the most part the subwoofer reproduced the bass with reasonable accuracy.
When testing the treble registers we opted to use higher pitched violin-heavy film score as well as Theremin-heavy score from "Ed Wood". In all our treble tests, the system performed remarkably well. Even when we threw constant pitch changes at the Inspire 2500, it adapted faultlessly, with no marked change in clarity or loss of information. The mid-tones survived our test reasonably well too, with only a few instances of the audio becoming a little flat.
The Inspire 2500 is capable of remarkably high volume with only little distortion at its peak. At those volumes, the subwoofer tended to vibrate and the audio lost much of its lustre but considering the excessive volume of our test in this instance, this is unlikely to be a problem the average user will come across.
The Creative Inspire 2500 2.1 speaker system sets out to achieve affordable good quality sound and should be commended for its success. While this is not the best speaker system we have reviewed, it does deliver a better quality than you would expect for the cost. On a limited budget, this is a system worth getting, providing the you have a reasonable sound card.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Intel profit falls as PC slump continues
- Mac users exposed by zero-day vulnerability
- Intel shows first Skylake tablet
- Hands-on with AMD's FreeSync: The technology that could kill Nvidia's G-Sync
- Qualcomm's Raspberry Pi-like computer has wireless capabilities
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW