Creative Labs Live! Cam Vista IM
- Easy to use, price, good quality image
- USB 1.1, relatively slow frame rate at 640x480 and 800x600
A well priced and well performing, yet basic, webcam.
Price$ 45.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Creative's Live! Cam Vista IM is a simple yet effective Web cam. It doesn't do anything particularly special, but it does the basics reasonably well. A couple of nice extras and a low price make it a great package for anyone who is a fan of talking over Skype or MSN Messenger.
As one of the lower priced models in Creative's range, the Live! Cam Vista IM is a basic device. It's dead easy to set up: plug the USB cable in and install the software. The Vista IM is certified as compatible with most popular instant messaging programs, such as Skype and MSN, so shouldn't require much in the way of additional configuration. The included software also gives the ability to record video files in either WMV or AVI formats, which is a nice touch.
The neat little device sits atop a hinged tripod, allowing it to perch upon a flat surface, or alternatively to fold up and cling on to a shelf. The lens can then be positioned to point in the correct direction. You'll also need to turn the lens ring to ensure the picture is in focus. Once all that's done the camera is good to go.
Picture quality is fairly good for a basic Web cam. Colours are well balanced, avoiding the washed out look seen on many other models. There's also little in the way of picture distortion, so you'll be able to tell what's going on without a grainy haze obscuring the image. Low light performance is about average. The maximum resolution of 800 x 600 pixels is adequate for most uses, though it operates at a somewhat disappointing 15 frames per second. Dropping to 320 x 240 pixels raises this to 30 frames per second, though at this size it becomes a little hard to discern what's going on. The other problem we had with the camera was that it only utilises a USB 1.1 connection, rather than the more modern USB 2.0.
Creative also bundle a clip on microphone with the camera, in the style of a mobile phone hands-free kit. This is a useful addition, and simply plugs in to the microphone jack on the computer. Overall Creative has come up with a simple but useful Web cam, and it should accommodate the needs of most users.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
- Olympus targets movie makers with OM-D E-M5 Mark II camera
- Sony unveils cheapest 4K camcorder yet
- Netflix: We're launching Down Under in March of 2015
- SanDisk eyes 4K video market with high-speed 512GB SD card
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW