Creative Labs Live! Motion
- Swivel feature, good software
- Windows only, grainy still images
Pan and tilt features coupled with a wide-angle lens help the Live! Motion appeal to experienced webcam users.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
The popularity of broadband in the home has given webcams a new lease on life. Creative's Live! Motion WebCam takes a number of elegant features to help it appeal to the power user.
Creative boasts that the Live! Motion has a 50% wider view than most webcams on the market, which allows you to fit much more on screen. The cam includes motors that allow it to smoothly rotate through 200° horizontally and 105° vertically, and software is included to take panoramic photographs using the swivel feature. The motors run quietly, so they don't detract from conversations. Better yet, Creative's Smart Face-Tracking enables the cam to automatically pan, and tilt to follow movements of the subject, so you don't have to worry about keeping still while chatting. The silver and dark grey device relies on USB 2.0 to communicate with a PC and boasts a 640 x 480 CCD sensor capable of recording video at up to 30 frames per second. Snapshots of up to 1.3 megapixels are achievable via interpolation, however, they appear somewhat grainy. Creative has wisely bundled an earpiece and microphone with the device, which offers excellent audio quality.
Like other Creative products, the Motion is limited to working with Microsoft operating systems (in this case, Windows 2000 and XP), so Mac users are left out. The software bundle is well designed and features SightSpeed, an application designed to make video phone calls over the Internet. A copy of Yahoo! Messenger is included in the packaging, and it works flawlessly with MSN messenger, AOL Instant Messenger and Windows Messenger.
If you take a chatting seriously and rely heavily on webcams to keep in contact with friends and family overseas, the Live! Motion is a stellar choice, provided your computer runs Windows.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTIncident and Problem ManagerVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTOracle eBusiness Functional Consultant. (Procurement)NSW
- FTSAP Payroll and Time ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Network Architect l Checkpoint firewalls l Cisco ACINSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTService Desk Consultant - Entry Level / GraduateNSW
- FTDocumentation AnalystNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTICT ManagerNSW
- FTMultiple Infrastructure ArchitectsWA
- FTETL Informatica DeveloperNSW
- FTStorage Engineer (HDS)NSW
- FTIT Project Manager. Ciritical permanent roleNSW
- CCLightweight Directory Access Procol (LDAP) DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Full Stack Web Developer - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTTest ManagerWA