Creative Labs Live! Motion
- Swivel feature, good software
- Windows only, grainy still images
Pan and tilt features coupled with a wide-angle lens help the Live! Motion appeal to experienced webcam users.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
The popularity of broadband in the home has given webcams a new lease on life. Creative's Live! Motion WebCam takes a number of elegant features to help it appeal to the power user.
Creative boasts that the Live! Motion has a 50% wider view than most webcams on the market, which allows you to fit much more on screen. The cam includes motors that allow it to smoothly rotate through 200° horizontally and 105° vertically, and software is included to take panoramic photographs using the swivel feature. The motors run quietly, so they don't detract from conversations. Better yet, Creative's Smart Face-Tracking enables the cam to automatically pan, and tilt to follow movements of the subject, so you don't have to worry about keeping still while chatting. The silver and dark grey device relies on USB 2.0 to communicate with a PC and boasts a 640 x 480 CCD sensor capable of recording video at up to 30 frames per second. Snapshots of up to 1.3 megapixels are achievable via interpolation, however, they appear somewhat grainy. Creative has wisely bundled an earpiece and microphone with the device, which offers excellent audio quality.
Like other Creative products, the Motion is limited to working with Microsoft operating systems (in this case, Windows 2000 and XP), so Mac users are left out. The software bundle is well designed and features SightSpeed, an application designed to make video phone calls over the Internet. A copy of Yahoo! Messenger is included in the packaging, and it works flawlessly with MSN messenger, AOL Instant Messenger and Windows Messenger.
If you take a chatting seriously and rely heavily on webcams to keep in contact with friends and family overseas, the Live! Motion is a stellar choice, provided your computer runs Windows.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCProject SchedulerACT
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCITSM Process AnalystNSW
- TPNetwork and Voice EngineerVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Reporting Officer - Tabelau exp - 6 mth contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- CCDigital Marketing StrategistVIC
- CCAX Functional SupportQLD
- CCBase24 DeveloperNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- TPGIS OfficerQLD
- CCL1 Desktop Support - 3 days a weekNSW
- FTUX Design LeadNSW
- FTBusiness/Technical Consultant (CPM)QLD
- FTSENIOR .Net DEVELOPERQLD
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161114/ITA/411Asia
- FTApplication Programmer - Software - HealthVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantVIC
- FTDirector Data AnalyticsACT
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Android Developer (6 month contract)NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - 12 month contract, ASAP startVIC
- CCService Desk Analyst - Major Government Client / ParramattaNSW