Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook
- Uses a true X-Fi chip, exceptional positional audio, brings depth to music and movies
- The card doesn't sit in the ExpressCard slot very well
When onboard audio just won't do, the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook is an exceptional option and one that notebook gamers, music enthusiasts and film buffs will greatly appreciate.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
For notebook users, the idea of good sound is generally an idea best left forgotten. The integrated sound of most notebooks is only intended for basic use and excellent audio tends to get overlooked by most manufacturers. Creative Labs has come up with a simple solution that uses its exceptional X-Fi chipset. The SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook is an expansion card that fits into any Windows based notebook with an ExpressCard slot.
It is a true X-Fi sound chip crammed into an ExpressCard form factor. However, the size doesn't detract from its overall power. Every gunshot, explosion and footstep was heard during our FEAR gaming tests with full positional audio. Subtleties in music, games and movies were each given their due with the excellent audio separation and soundstage placement that X-Fi has become renowned for.
The card has headphone and microphone jacks which also double as optical in and out ports. The device can recreate surround sound using a basic set of headphones or can support up to 7.1 speakers. Since the card is so small, a separate break-out box is provided which has extra ports for front, side, rear and centre/sub speakers.
The only complaint about the device is something that isn't really its fault but more a flaw in the overall design of ExpressCard technology. The card sits in the ExpressCard slot with nothing clamping it to the chassis. As such, when pulling your headphones out, the card can sometimes pop out too. While this is slightly annoying, you will soon remember to hold it when pulling out the headphones so it's not really that big of an issue.
The price point is more than acceptable considering the quality of the device and it comes with a set of ear bud headphones with a built-in microphone. These aren't brilliant but they definitely produce better audio than you would expect from a bundled headset.
The card is very simple to set up thanks to the provided installation CD. All you need to do is plug it in, install the software and you're away.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung attacks Chinese rivals with new mid-range Galaxy phones
- FCC's Wheeler said to mull hybrid approach to net neutrality
- Oppo R5: World's thinnest phone at 4.85mm coming to Australia
- Google project aims to preserve privacy when collecting software stats
- Major banks ready their own mobile payment apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW