Creative Labs TravelSound PoPz
- Compact design, reasonable sound quality
- Not loud enough
The Creative Labs TravelSound PoPz is inexpensive and has reasonable sound quality but it's hampered by a low volume output.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
The Creative Labs TravelSound PoPz is a funky portable speaker system designed to accompany your music player while not taking up much space.
Inconspicuous and compact, the PoPz look mores like a small pouch than a speaker system. When opened, the interior is dominated by two white stereo speakers and a single 3.5mm stereo jack.
We tested the speakers with a wide range of music and found the sound quality to be good, but not excellent. Bass was lacking and there was some muting in the high treble registers. Mid-tones were quite good, but there was a little lack of definition there too.
Considering the price and size of these speakers, these results were expected. As far as audio quality goes, the TravelSound PoPz is on par with the majority of portable speaker systems that we have reviewed. We did find its maximum volume output to be weak.
The Creative PoPz is a passive speaker system and as such doesn't require batteries to run. While not having to continually replace batteries may be a good thing, the trade-off is that the speakers can't amplify the audio signal they are receiving. At the maximum volume level on our MP3 player, a conversation between a small group of people easily drowned out the speakers. Trying to use these speakers outdoors, in areas with even moderate ambient noise, would be fruitless.
There isn't much else that can be said about the PoPz. While it's an inexpensive speaker system and produces reasonable sound quality, the low volume output limits its usefulness.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTData AnalystsWA
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator - DBANSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Test Analyst | End to End TestingNSW
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW