Creative Labs WebCam Live! Effects
- Tracks subject movement, includes lapel microphone
- Windows only, some effects are gimmicky
Creative’s Live! Effects WebCam is great for chatting with friends and family. However, some of the bundled effects are not practically useful.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Though Webcams have been available for the better part of a decade, the local boost in broadband uptake means that only now are they becoming truly practical for communicating with friends and family from around the world.
Creative's Live! Effects WebCam is packed with useful features, such as the ability to track a subject and keep a face in the centre of the screen. A lapel microphone is also bundled in the packaging to boost audio quality.
The small silver and grey webcam includes a four way stand that allows it to sit on a flat surface or attach to a CRT, flat panel or notebook screen. A USB 2.0 port allows a video frame rate of up to 30 frames per second at a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels. Still image capture is supported at a resolution of up to 1.3 megapixels, but this is achieved via software interpolation and the we found the high-res images appeared a little grainy.
Creative's main selling point for the Live! Effects is the ability to add video effects to your footage. For example, it's possible to morph an image or adjust the background to brighten up Webcam conversations, and the webcam ships with a number "Advanced Video FX" straight from the box. Registered users can download more from the Creative website, and it's even possible to get "Stik-on" Webcam covers to personalise the unit.
All versions of Windows are supported from 98SE onwards, but there's no support for Mac users. The packaging includes a copy of Yahoo! messenger, and the device is compatible with MSN messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, and Windows messenger applications. A one-year warranty rounds out a capable Webcam, though most users will find the effects a gimmick.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Jump the line for the newest Chromecast features with Google's new preview program
- Twitter's new Apple TV, Fire TV, and Xbox One apps are all about video, not tweets
- Sony's PlayStation 4 'Shingen' update adds HDR support to every PS4 console
- New TiVo Bolt+ is a DVR powerhouse rolling out September 15
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT