Creative Labs WebCam Live! Effects
- Tracks subject movement, includes lapel microphone
- Windows only, some effects are gimmicky
Creative’s Live! Effects WebCam is great for chatting with friends and family. However, some of the bundled effects are not practically useful.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Though Webcams have been available for the better part of a decade, the local boost in broadband uptake means that only now are they becoming truly practical for communicating with friends and family from around the world.
Creative's Live! Effects WebCam is packed with useful features, such as the ability to track a subject and keep a face in the centre of the screen. A lapel microphone is also bundled in the packaging to boost audio quality.
The small silver and grey webcam includes a four way stand that allows it to sit on a flat surface or attach to a CRT, flat panel or notebook screen. A USB 2.0 port allows a video frame rate of up to 30 frames per second at a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels. Still image capture is supported at a resolution of up to 1.3 megapixels, but this is achieved via software interpolation and the we found the high-res images appeared a little grainy.
Creative's main selling point for the Live! Effects is the ability to add video effects to your footage. For example, it's possible to morph an image or adjust the background to brighten up Webcam conversations, and the webcam ships with a number "Advanced Video FX" straight from the box. Registered users can download more from the Creative website, and it's even possible to get "Stik-on" Webcam covers to personalise the unit.
All versions of Windows are supported from 98SE onwards, but there's no support for Mac users. The packaging includes a copy of Yahoo! messenger, and the device is compatible with MSN messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, and Windows messenger applications. A one-year warranty rounds out a capable Webcam, though most users will find the effects a gimmick.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCSystems EngineerACT
- CCSalesforce Functional AnalystNSW
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior DevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!VIC
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- TPDevOps ManagerVIC
- CCITCM EngineerNSW
- CCSofware Developer/Architect - Media and telco Network Operations - MelbourneVIC
- TPJunior Business AnalystQLD
- CCSharePoint Service ManagerNSW
- TPSystems ManagerQLD
- TP.NET DeveloperWA
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Office 365QLD
- CCDevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- TPSQL Server Developer | 3 month contract |NSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!!!SA