Creative Labs WebCam Live! Effects
- Tracks subject movement, includes lapel microphone
- Windows only, some effects are gimmicky
Creative’s Live! Effects WebCam is great for chatting with friends and family. However, some of the bundled effects are not practically useful.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Though Webcams have been available for the better part of a decade, the local boost in broadband uptake means that only now are they becoming truly practical for communicating with friends and family from around the world.
Creative's Live! Effects WebCam is packed with useful features, such as the ability to track a subject and keep a face in the centre of the screen. A lapel microphone is also bundled in the packaging to boost audio quality.
The small silver and grey webcam includes a four way stand that allows it to sit on a flat surface or attach to a CRT, flat panel or notebook screen. A USB 2.0 port allows a video frame rate of up to 30 frames per second at a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels. Still image capture is supported at a resolution of up to 1.3 megapixels, but this is achieved via software interpolation and the we found the high-res images appeared a little grainy.
Creative's main selling point for the Live! Effects is the ability to add video effects to your footage. For example, it's possible to morph an image or adjust the background to brighten up Webcam conversations, and the webcam ships with a number "Advanced Video FX" straight from the box. Registered users can download more from the Creative website, and it's even possible to get "Stik-on" Webcam covers to personalise the unit.
All versions of Windows are supported from 98SE onwards, but there's no support for Mac users. The packaging includes a copy of Yahoo! messenger, and the device is compatible with MSN messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, and Windows messenger applications. A one-year warranty rounds out a capable Webcam, though most users will find the effects a gimmick.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
- Olympus targets movie makers with OM-D E-M5 Mark II camera
- Sony unveils cheapest 4K camcorder yet
- Netflix: We're launching Down Under in March of 2015
- SanDisk eyes 4K video market with high-speed 512GB SD card
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- FTManual Software TesterNSW
- FTPrograme ManagerNSW
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- CCAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | ChatswoodNSW
- CCUX DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- CCSolution Design EngineerACT
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCSAP Business Intelligence SpecialistQLD
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst (SCADA / CSI)VIC
- CCSharePoint AdministratorACT
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW