Cyber Acoustics AC-9650
A good quality gaming headset.
- Good audio quality, good environmental sound reproduction, good microphone, sturdy construction
- Elastic headband is not good for users wearing glasses, occasional muddiness in bass
The Cyber Acoustics AC-9650 is a very good gaming headset that won't break the bank. It's comfortable to wear and delivers good audio; only people who wear glasses need to think hard before buying it.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
The Cyber Acoustics AC-9650 is a gaming headset with excellent audio and a good microphone, but it can be slightly awkward sometimes.
The Cyber Acoustics AC-9650 comes in attractive shades of gunmetal grey. It's a fairly standard over-the-head model with bulbous ear pieces that have pleather padding for extra comfort on those long, cold gaming nights. The headphones are surprisingly soft and comfortable, even when wearing the headset for long periods. The headset looks geeky, but you probably won't mind when you're fragging your opponents in a LAN event.
The headset's build quality is good. However, one annoying problem is the adjustable elastic headband, which is very firm and sits close to your ears. If you wear glasses, you will find them constantly getting pushed upwards.
The cord length of 2.13m is more than ample for most users, and you can choose between connecting to the headphone and microphone ports on your computer and connecting to a dongle that then plugs into a USB port.
The Cyber Acoustics AC-9650 headset performs surprisingly well when it comes to both music and sound effects. Mid-range and treble were clear and well-defined, with little to no distortion at high volumes. Voices and classical instruments like violins and Spanish guitars came out with the right timbre, while fast-paced electronic tracks like Goldfrapp's "Ooh Lah Lah" had each and every tone correctly defined.
The gaming headset's bass performance was also decent, delivering smooth and rich tones although very occasionally featuring a little muddiness.
More importantly for gamers, the headset was excellent at simulating the game environment. Footsteps were distinct and placed correctly on the soundstage, for example.
Communicating with your team while in noisy environments like Internet cafes is aided by the noise-cancelling adjustable microphone, which is very sturdy and effective. Although environmental audio will still be present, your voice will still be heard through the ruckus. The fact that the microphone boom is stiff works to a gamer's advantage (we've found that products like the Plantronics .Audio 770 with smoothly rotating microphone booms tend to degrade over time).
If you're looking for a headset that can help you play games on a Monday and listen to "Ride of the Valkyries" on a Tuesday (possibly while gaming), then the Cyber Acoustics AC-9650 will do the trick.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- FTChange Manager - Large Transition ProjectNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- CCIT Solutions ArchitectQLD
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- FTSenior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- FTData AnalystQLD