- You can upload directly from YouCam to YouTube
- The effects are a bit cheesy
While Cyberlink YouCam is rather fun, it's hard to see a big market of people who would want to pay even $50 for something quite so superfluous. It might appeal to kids who enjoy the novelty value of the effects, but Cyberlink YouCam has the air of something that really should be a free add on, not paid-for software.
Price$ 51.79 (AUD)
Cyberlink YouCam is webcam effects software aimed at making YouTube and video chat a lot more fun.
As all the main messenger software titles now support video chat, it's about time there were more ways to make it more fun. This is where YouCam steps in. This clever little utility from Cyberlink is aimed squarely at YouTube and chat fans who want a way to enhance chatting online and share videos.
Cyberlink YouCam consists of two modes: one to be used to pep up live chats, and the other to add a little extra to your video chats before you share them with friends online.
The first mode allows you to apply effects while you are chatting to your friends. Most of these are, admittedly pretty cheesy but, given the market of teens and tweens to whom this is most likely to appeal, perhaps this is no bad thing.
Frankly, we struggle to see quite how chatting would be enhanced by the addition of a swirly pink heart or a red rose frame. If, like us, you don't like the effects supplied with Cyberlink YouCam, there are more to be downloaded from the Cyberlink We bsite.
You can also add distortion effects to make yourself look bigger, thinner or just plain weirder. Then there are animated 'emotion' effects which are a bit like cartoon captions. For the full effect these can be applied along with any of Cyberlink YouCam's other features.
Cyberlink YouCam's second, stand-alone, mode allows you to use your webcam to capture video and still images and add effects to them instead.
If you create a video you are particularly proud of you can upload directly from YouCam to YouTube. Or, if your film is of a more private nature you can e-mail it directly from Cyberlink YouCam instead.
In either mode you can preview your masterpiece in real time to see whether or not you are happy with the effects and filters you have added.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Kansas City gets 'smart': New streetcar line opens amid free public Wi-Fi zone
- Pushing STEM in high school is too little, too late
- Google turns on HTTPS for all blogspot blogs
- May the Fourth be with you: 4 Star Wars tech tributes you can actually use
- Opera pulls trigger on baked-in ad blocker
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCSolution Architect - JULY STARTACT
- CCSCRUM MasterNSW
- FTTechnical/Team Lead - .NetNSW
- CCAzure DeveloperNSW
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- CCCommunication and Change ManagerVIC
- CCIT Solution Architect - ApplicationsNSW
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCRelease Management LeadNSW
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC