- Slim, stylish design, comfortable to wear for long periods, work with iPhone
- Poor bass response, harsh frequencies
The GrooveStyle aren't the best sounding headphones by a long shot, but their stylish design means they are a slight upgrade on many of the standard ear buds packaged with portable music players.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Cygnett's latest in-ear headphones, the GrooveStyle, definitely live up to the second part of their name. Unfortunately, the "groove" is let down by a lack of adequate bass response.
Despite claiming to have "precise bass response", we found the bass quite poor. Even with the equaliser settings on our music player switched to bass boost, the GrooveStyle struggled to produce adequate levels of bass. Subtle frequencies were largely inaudible.
In other areas, the GrooveStyle produces bright mid-range and high-range frequencies. These also lacked detail and aren't well controlled, which gives them somewhat of a tinny sound. In addition, we found high-range frequencies quite harsh.
Despite these sound quality issues, the GrooveStyle is still a slight upgrade to most ear buds that come pre-packaged with digital music players and mobile phones, particularly the stock iPod and iPhone ear buds. We managed to test the GrooveStyle with the iPhone despite the recessed headphone jack; Cygnett has designed this model to fit perfectly. Audiophiles and those who are highly concerned with sound quality need not apply, but for those after a relatively inexpensive set of headphones to replace their stock ones, the GrooveStyle may fit the bill.
One aspect that Cygnett has managed to get almost spot-on is the design. The GrooveStyle features a rotatable clip that hooks over each ear and we found these quite comfortable to wear for long listening periods. The rotatable hook means the headphones should fit most ears quite comfortably. The black ear buds and chrome and silver metal clips look quite attractive, so there is definitely some style about these headphones. Their lightweight frame and slim design also makes them ideal to carry around when travelling.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- CCIBM ODM Expert (Operation Decision Manager)ACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical Support - iPAD, iPhone, Apple devicesNSW
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCProject Coordinator - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCStorage / Server EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Network Engineer - Voice And DataVIC
- CCData AnalystACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCPortfolio Delivery ManagerACT
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW