D-Link DHP-303 powerline network adapter
The D-Link DHP-303 is an HD PowerLine HD network kit that provides plug-and-play operation and top-notch high-definition video streaming.
- Superior performance, power-saving mode
- No multi-port adapters available, incompatible with most other powerline devices
Overall, the D-Link DHP-303 kit is a top-notch performer with easy encryption setup and useful features such as a software utility and a power-saving mode. Just buy the correct kit, and make sure you're existing equipment is compatible.
Price$ 239.95 (AUD)
'So far so what', you might think. But under the hood, the D-Link DHP-303 has a different engine. The DHP-303 PowerLine HD Network Starter Kit is the only kit we've seen recently based on the Universal Powerline Association (UPA) standard; all of the others use HomePlug AV technology.
As a result, D-Link adaptors such as the D-Link DHP-303 are not interoperable with HomePlug AV adaptors. But since we advise buyers to stick to one vendor for ease of support, that's something of a moot point - although worth bearing in mind if you're adding to existing kit.
Whereas HomePlug AV kits use AES encryption, the D-Link DHP-303 kit uses 3-DES encryption - an older standard that is more CPU-intensive and marginally less secure (though both 3-DES and AES are more than adequate for home use).
Despite the extra overhead of 3-DES, the D-Link D-Link DHP-303 far outperformed the HomePlug AV kits we've tested recently, with sustained throughput in the range of 85 to 90 mbps. (The HomePlug AV kits maxed out at 62 to 69 mbps.)
The D-Link DHP-303 kit has a power-saving mode and push-button encryption that works in much the same way as the system that HomePlug AV models use. A software utility lets you set a specific encryption passphrase and prioritise network traffic — a useful option when you have multiple devices connected via powerline and want to ensure uninterrupted TV streaming.
The only significant downside to the D-Link DHP-303 kit: is that the company doesn't sell multiple-port adaptors, a feature that greatly reduces the cost of networking multiple home-theatre components and conserves scarce wall plugs.
If you buy, be sure to get the DHP-303 kit. The older D-Link DHP-301 PowerLine HD Ethernet Kit looks very similar (and has a similar name), but has far lower throughput and lacks push-button encryption.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 2 Medion Akoya E4110 (MD 8239) desktop PC
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 4 Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series convertible laptop
- 5 Kogan Agora 4G review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- IFA 2014: Next-gen smartphones from Samsung, Sony, LG, Motorola and more
- Netflix open sources internal threat monitoring tools
- Surface Pro 3 not overheating but needs a software fix, Microsoft says
- Server sales have turned a corner, IDC says
- Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Compare broadband and save
- FTMarketing Communications Executive - B2BNSW
- FTInformation Services ManagerNZ
- FTChief Information OfficerNSW
- FTSearch Account ManagerNSW
- FTMachine Learning | JAVA | San Fran based global Company | SydneyNSW
- CCL2 Technical Support Engineer - RightFax/MessagingVIC
- FTAccount Manager Programmatic Trading DeskNSW