Well-priced calibration solution
- High-quality colorimeter, easy-to-use and powerful software, low price, real-time ambient light adjustment
- Lacks innovative tools of other solutions
If you don't want one of the all-in-one monitor and printer calibration solutions, the Spyder3Elite is a well-priced choice.
Price$ 465.00 (AUD)
Over the past year we've seen plenty of innovation in the colour-calibration market, with the emergence of combination monitor-and-printer calibration systems such as Pantone's ColorMunki and the Colour Confidence Profiler. The ColorMunki is also capable of being used as a real-world Eyedropper tool.
The Spyder3Elite eschews the trend, in favour of a higher-grade of monitor calibration — though it is available in a bundle with the Spyder3Print printer calibrator as the Spyder3Studio. It has some innovations of its own, but overall it's essentially an upgraded version of the Spyder2.
The Spyder3 device has a larger measurement area and is 400 per cent more sensitive than the previous model — and is of a higher grade than most of its rivals, based on Datacolour's quoted stats.
The company has given the Spyder's design an overhaul, keeping the 'alien spaceship' shape of the Spyder2 but ditching the dull grey and black design for a high-reflective metal finish that looks like an intriguingly geeky desk ornament.
You may want to keep the Spyder3Elite on your desk at all times, as it features an ambient light sensor on its front. This is used during calibration, but can be set to be always on using the software's advanced tools — so it adjusts your monitor to lighting changes in your studio automatically. Considering the British weather, this could be a very useful function.
The Spyder3Elite software is excellent. It's a straight-down-the-line monitor calibration tool, with simple and advanced modes. The advanced mode offers a huge amount of control to match different studio lighting conditions and gamma curves — including Cineon for post-production of telecined film stock.
The software also includes the StudioMatch Assistant, so multiple displays can be calibrated to match each other — essentially limiting their palettes to the weakest one.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCITCM EngineerNSW
- CCNetwork and Cloud SMENSW
- FTSolution Architect (e-Health)NSW
- CCSolution ManagerSA
- FTSAP Logistics ConsultantNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- FTSenior Automation Test AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- TPSenior Node.JS DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Team LeadNSW
- FTFull Stack Software DeveloperQLD
- TPAutomation TesterQLD
- TPAPS6 Java DeveloperACT
- FTMS Dynamics DevelopersNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTManagement AccountantNSW
- FTDesign Specialist - TelecomNSW
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- FTCisco Network Engineer (FIFO)WA
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTChief Security OfficerNSW