Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 922
- Cheap, fast scan time
- Slightly slow image printing, poor colour graphics
This inexpensive MFP would fit well in a home where fast and easy operation is important and image quality is secondary.
Price$ 112.00 (AUD)
Dell's Photo All-in-One Printer 922 uses the same engine, drivers and case as the Lexmark X5270, and not surprisingly the two models perform almost identically.
In our tests, the Dell printed graphics at a slightly below-average 1ppm (page per minute), but it issued text quickly at a rate of 7.7ppm. It also scanned quickly: the 922 scanned a 4" x 5" photo at 100dpi in just 15 seconds.
The text the 922 printed was slightly jagged and looked dark, yet was legible down to very small sizes. Line art looked fairly crisp, though narrow parallel lines printed too thick and overlapped a lot. Colour graphics on plain paper looked faded and too orange, although blues appeared realistic. On glossy paper, photos also appeared too orange, but other colours seemed more realistic, and they retained detail well. Copies of a text document were sharp, but copies of plain-paper graphics looked faded.
The case is small and sleek, but the lid to the flatbed scanner feels flimsy and light. The console is bare-bones; for example, it lacks an LCD panel for setting the number of copies, changing the copy quality settings and so on. Next to the flatbed scanner, however, there are buttons for initiating scans and making copies.
Dell includes Lexmark's well-designed All-in-One Center, a driver for copying, sending a fax from a PC, and scanning to a specific application, file, email or fax. Based on the selection, the software sets the resolution. A print status box shows how much ink is left in the cartridges every time it prints.
The accompanying software can also be used to edit images or scan text to the included optical character recognition application, ABBYY FineReader 5.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 3 Systems EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCSharePoint Service ManagerNSW
- CC.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTGraduate Software EngineerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- CCICT Strategist and AdvisorNSW
- FTNetwork Services ManagerQLD
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - General InsuranceNSW
- CC.NET Developer!QLD
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!WA
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem Support ConsultantNSW
- CCNetwork EngineersACT
- TPTechnical Analyst - 6 Month Contract - Great Rates Of PayNSW
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTSystems AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC