Dell Streak 7 Android tablet (preview)
Dell plans to sell the Streak 7 globally but has not provided details on when it will be available worldwide
- No word on worldwide release date
Dell's Streak 7 tablet runs on 2.2 of Google's Android operating system and is powered by Nvidia's Tegra 2 dual-core processor. It will be upgradeable to Google's Android 3.0 OS, code-named Honeycomb,
Dell's Streak 7 tablet runs on Google's Android 2.2, and is powered by Nvidia's Tegra 2 dual-core processor. The tablet will be upgradeable to Google's Android 3.0 OS, code-named Honeycomb, soon after its launch, said Michael Tatelman, vice president at Dell, speaking at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
"It weighs less than a pound, which is a lot lighter than some 10-inch tablets out there," Tatelman said.
The tablet will be available through T-Mobile in the U.S. in the next few weeks and will work with the wireless carrier's 4G network.
Dell plans to sell the Streak 7 globally, but Tatelman provided no further details on when it will be available worldwide.
The Streak 7 tablet has a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera and a 5-megapixel camera on the back. The display has a Gorilla Glass screen, which helps make it more sturdy. The screen is also used with Dell's Venue Pro rugged smartphone.
The Streak 7 includes support for Flash 10.1 to play movies and games from the Internet. It has Dell's Stage user interface, which makes it easier to find movies, books and other documents.
Dell also plans to announce a tablet with a 10-inch screen later this year for business customers, Tatelman said. The tablet will blend business-related software and services so that companies can remotely manage data and connect to offices.
The Streak 7 tablet with be complementary offering to the current Streak, a mobile device with a 5-inch screen that includes smartphone and tablet features. Dell has also started shipping the Inspiron Duo, a netbook-tablet hybrid in which the 10.1-inch screen flips around to turn the device into a tablet.
Dell also announced the its Venue smartphone, which has a 4.1-inch screen and an 8-megapixel camera. Unlike its existing Dell Venue Pro device, which runs on Windows Phone 7 and is for business users, the Venue does not have a slip-out keyboard and it runs on Android OS. The smartphone will be available unlocked on Dell's website in the next few weeks.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT