Dell Vostro 460 business PC (preview)
Dell's newest business PC uses the latest Intel Core i5 and i7 processors
- New Intel Sandy Bridge processors have plenty of power, Blu-ray drive, plenty of customisation options
- Processor and hard drive customisation is expensive
Dell's Vostro 460 business PC brings the latest suite of Intel technology to businesses in the form of the Sandy Bridge processing architecture. We're looking forward to putting it through its paces.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
Dell's Vostro 460 is the first small business desktop PC to use the latest Intel 'Sandy Bridge' quad-core Core i5 and Core i7 processors, according to the company. This should mean that this desktop PC has more than enough power to handle business multitasking.
It's possible to spec the Dell Vostro 460 with one of two different Intel Core i5 processors, or with a quad-core Intel Core i7 processor. Up to 16GB of RAM can be included in the build, as well as up to 2.5TB of storage spread over two hard drives. It's also possible to specify a Blu-ray disc drive, two monitors and a range of ATI or NVIDIA graphics cards.
The cheapest specification of the Dell Vostro 460 business desktop PC is $1299, and the top-spec Intel Core i7 machine with 8GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD is $1699. These prices aren't too far off what competitors were charging for Core i5 workstations at the end of 2010, so we're keen what kind of performance the Dell Vostro 460 delivers.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCProject Manager - ProcurementNSW
- CCInfrastructure Team LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager - Software DevelopmentQLD
- FTProject Manager (Cyber Security) - Permanent - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CCSecurity ConsultantWA
- FTInfrastructure EngineerQLD
- CCAgile TesterNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer JUNIPERNSW
- CCProject Manager (Network Roll-Out)SA
- TPSAP HR Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCExchange EngineerNSW
- FTHealth Software Support Consultant - Permanent - North RydeNSW
- CCSAP HR & Payroll Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior Security AnalystACT
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - AIXVIC
- FTJAVA Developer- XML, SOAP, GIS, Web services, SPRINGVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)ACT
- CCSenior Automation TesterVIC
- FTPrincipal Product Manager | Cloud | Managed ServicesNSW
- FTServicing Financial Planner - CBDVIC
- CCWorkforce Planning ManagerNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- FTPerformance TesterWA