Dell Vostro 460 business PC (preview)
Dell's newest business PC uses the latest Intel Core i5 and i7 processors
- New Intel Sandy Bridge processors have plenty of power, Blu-ray drive, plenty of customisation options
- Processor and hard drive customisation is expensive
Dell's Vostro 460 business PC brings the latest suite of Intel technology to businesses in the form of the Sandy Bridge processing architecture. We're looking forward to putting it through its paces.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
Dell's Vostro 460 is the first small business desktop PC to use the latest Intel 'Sandy Bridge' quad-core Core i5 and Core i7 processors, according to the company. This should mean that this desktop PC has more than enough power to handle business multitasking.
It's possible to spec the Dell Vostro 460 with one of two different Intel Core i5 processors, or with a quad-core Intel Core i7 processor. Up to 16GB of RAM can be included in the build, as well as up to 2.5TB of storage spread over two hard drives. It's also possible to specify a Blu-ray disc drive, two monitors and a range of ATI or NVIDIA graphics cards.
The cheapest specification of the Dell Vostro 460 business desktop PC is $1299, and the top-spec Intel Core i7 machine with 8GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD is $1699. These prices aren't too far off what competitors were charging for Core i5 workstations at the end of 2010, so we're keen what kind of performance the Dell Vostro 460 delivers.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTProgram SchedulerNSW
- FTXamarin DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Java ProgrammerWA
- TPJunior Project ManagerSA
- FTiOS Developer - PermanentWA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Windows Server) 161031/AP/962Asia
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantVIC
- CCNetApp ConsultantWA
- CCBackup ConsultantWA
- TPSenior Full Stack .NET Developer - AngularJSNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 161101/AP/162Asia
- TPGIS Project ManagerVIC
- CCService Analyst (12-month contract)Asia
- CCIT Manager - ANZNSW
- CCICT Business AnalystACT
- CCContract Senior IT Assistant (Lotus Notes) 161101/SITA/571Asia
- FTJava/JEE DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist SQL & Sybase DBAVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerSA
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Telco - AgileVIC
- TPBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- FTJava DeveloperNSW