Digital Anarchy Primatte Chromakey for Photoshop 3.0
- Fast and efficient workflow., works as Smart Filter, Light Wrap for more realistic comps
- Other tools better for tricky cutouts, requires green/blue screen shots
Primate Chromakey for Photoshop CS3 is an excellent tool for designers working with large numbers of well-shot cutouts – catalogue designers will find it a godsend – though you or your photographer will have to invest in some green screen paint. If you need to extract people from more tricky backgrounds, we'd recommend OnOne's Mask Pro instead.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Despite the addition of the Quick Selection cut-out tool to Photoshop CS3, there are still plenty of masking plug-ins available. Primatte Chromakey for Photoshop is one such tool. It provides the same results as all the other masking plug-ins, but has a quite different workflow.
This tool is based on the Primatte plug-in, which is available for compositing tools such as After Effects. It extracts people and objects that have been shot against green/blue screen.
Using a green screen may seem unusual for still photography, but because the software is working with colour rather than paths, intricate and semi-transparent areas such as hair and shadow detail are left intact.
The core new tool in version 3.0 of Primatte is the Auto Mask, which offers one-click extraction based on a 'best guess' premise. As long as your model or object is well lit, this provides acceptable results – and you can tweak it afterwards if you wish. Coupled with the new support for Photoshop actions, you could batch process a full professional shoot's worth of images very quickly.
The update also works as a Smart Filter, Photoshop CS3's new system that allows you to go back and edit filters after you've applied them – which can be very useful if later compositing of your image reveals defects in the mask.
We were also impressed by the Light Wrap function, which mimics the reflection of background lighting on the edges of your mask, with controls over Radius and Brightness. This is an excellent addition for the creation of realistic-looking compositions. Digital Anarchy has also spruced up the interface and added support for Intel Macs.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- TPChange and Communications CoordinatorQLD
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCService Designer (CX)NSW
- TPSAP Helpdesk SupportACT
- FTScrum MasterQLD
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCSalesforce - Functional Analyst (BA)NSW
- CCAnalyst ProgrammerVIC
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCInfrastructure EngineerACT
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- FTInfrastructure Security Compliance OfficerNSW
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- CCUser ResearcherNSW