Digital Anarchy Primatte Chromakey for Photoshop 3.0
- Fast and efficient workflow., works as Smart Filter, Light Wrap for more realistic comps
- Other tools better for tricky cutouts, requires green/blue screen shots
Primate Chromakey for Photoshop CS3 is an excellent tool for designers working with large numbers of well-shot cutouts – catalogue designers will find it a godsend – though you or your photographer will have to invest in some green screen paint. If you need to extract people from more tricky backgrounds, we'd recommend OnOne's Mask Pro instead.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Despite the addition of the Quick Selection cut-out tool to Photoshop CS3, there are still plenty of masking plug-ins available. Primatte Chromakey for Photoshop is one such tool. It provides the same results as all the other masking plug-ins, but has a quite different workflow.
This tool is based on the Primatte plug-in, which is available for compositing tools such as After Effects. It extracts people and objects that have been shot against green/blue screen.
Using a green screen may seem unusual for still photography, but because the software is working with colour rather than paths, intricate and semi-transparent areas such as hair and shadow detail are left intact.
The core new tool in version 3.0 of Primatte is the Auto Mask, which offers one-click extraction based on a 'best guess' premise. As long as your model or object is well lit, this provides acceptable results – and you can tweak it afterwards if you wish. Coupled with the new support for Photoshop actions, you could batch process a full professional shoot's worth of images very quickly.
The update also works as a Smart Filter, Photoshop CS3's new system that allows you to go back and edit filters after you've applied them – which can be very useful if later compositing of your image reveals defects in the mask.
We were also impressed by the Light Wrap function, which mimics the reflection of background lighting on the edges of your mask, with controls over Radius and Brightness. This is an excellent addition for the creation of realistic-looking compositions. Digital Anarchy has also spruced up the interface and added support for Intel Macs.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Startup SQLdep aims to help DBAs stay sane
- BlackBerry's deal to buy voice crypto company Secusmart blessed by German government
- France, Germany want EU to take a tougher stance on tech firms
- Distracted? Slap this Hitachi gizmo on your forehead to focus
- Divoom Voombox-Travel rugged Bluetooth speaker
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Manager | Online Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTClient Services Manager | Digital Client Services ManagerNSW
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW