Digital Anarchy ToonIt Photo
Digital Anarchy’s ToonIt Photo replicates a hand-drawn, comic style.
- Excellent cartoon- and graphic novel-style output; lots of flexibility to styles
- Slow; many redundant options
Digital Anarchy’s ToonIt Photo replicates a hand-drawn style well, especially comic style techniques, although it is slow, with changes taking a few seconds to render. However, it runs as a Smart Filter and in every colour space Photoshop supports - even 32-bit.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
NOTE: Pricing for this product is in U.S. Currency
Like Akvis’ Sketch 8.5, Digital Anarchy’s ToonIt Photo replicates a hand-drawn style well that almost all plug-ins do very badly indeed. In ToonIt’s case, it’s comics — covering techniques from black-and-white outlined cartoons to full graphic novel-style art.
After applying the plug-in, you choose the type of shading and colour flattening you want to use in the Style Creator panel. There are 12 options here; the key ones are Flat Shaded or Flat Detailed. The others range from the mediocre, such as Crackle, to the pointless (Goth).
Each of the styles has a series of options for how it’s applied, with Flat Shaded offering Flatness, Simplicity and Strength to change how flat your colours are and how much detail from your original image is preserved.
To the left of the Style Creator is the Effects Palette, which gives six tabbed sets of controls: Blur/Color, Halftone, Stipple, Shadow, Outline, and Marker Outlines. The most useful controls here are the blurs, which work before the cartoon effect is applied for flatter tonal areas; the duotones for lighter flat areas that contrast with the black outlines; halftones for newspaper and Roy Lichtenstein-type effects; and a choice of comic and soft outlines.
In the top right corner is a list of presets in a cramped box that gives you an idea of ToonIt’s flexibility. The useful ones range from the old colour newsprint of ‘1940’s ad’, to the detailed graphic novel styles, to the unusual ‘MacPaint drawing’. There are some duds, including Frank Miller-style black-heavy attempts that never work.
ToonIt Photo is slow, with changes taking a few seconds to render. However, it runs as a Smart Filter and in every colour space Photoshop supports — even 32-bit.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Hackers figure out how to seize control of a car from anywhere
- Mozilla to focus on minimizing desertions to Edge with new Windows 10 Firefox
- Most Google de-listing requests are from everyday folk, leaked data shows
- Michael Dell: Dell will ship Windows 10 PCs on July 29
- Microsoft wraps up revamped Office 2016 for Mac
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW