Doro 225ipc USB Broadband Telephone
- Ease of use and setup, slim design, sound and voice quality, works with multiple VoIP applications.
- LCD display, keypad buttons.
The DORO 225IPC offers ease of use and excellent call quality to provide a value for money VoIP package.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
The DORO 225IPC is a budget VoIP phone aimed at first time users. It offers pretty good value for money and includes 10 selectable ring tones, caller ID, a blue backlit LCD display and the ability to browse through your Skype contacts.
The phone is a slim, corded VoIP handset and comes in a variety of colours. DORO has attempted to make the phone look stylish and although it's always a matter of personal taste, we think the 225IPC looks pretty ordinary. Our review unit was finished in a matte black plastic and its well designed shape means it cups comfortably in your hand. The phone is fairly long but its slim form ensures talking for long periods doesn't pose a problem.
The 225IPC features a fairly standard arrangement of buttons - a keypad, answer and end call keys, up and down buttons and dedicated keys for contacts and clear. Our main complaint is with the keypad, as the buttons are very thin and don't feel particularly sturdy. Their rubber finish also means they require a pretty firm press to activate.
The LCD display is quite bland and although the backlight is bright, the quality of displayed text is poor. The unit is as easy to use as a normal telephone, with the up and down menu keys used to scroll through Skype tabs and contacts.
The phone connects to your PC via a standard USB connection and the cord is long enough to ensure you can sit at least a metre or two away. The 225IPC is pretty compact overall, so it can easily be thrown into a laptop bag or briefcase for traveling if you have access to mobile broadband.
Setup is simple and requires you to install the software which is included on a disk in the sales package. The 225IPC is Skype certified, but its advantage is that it will work with most VoIP applications - and is compatible with multiple operating systems including Mac OS X.
Where the 225IPC impresses most is call quality, with crisp and clear voice for both parties. Volume at its highest setting was more than adequate in a noisy environment. DORO claims the handset uses echo and noise cancellation to provide quality voice calls and we were significantly impressed with these features. All up, a solid phone for the VoIP enthusiast.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
- Google releases stylish $199 Wi-Fi router meant to be shown off
- iiNet unveils Social Post at Perth Arena
- Telstra officially launches its national Wi-Fi network
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCDesktop Support Engineer/Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- CCData Migration SpecialistQLD
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- CCSharePoint AdministratorACT
- FTTechnical Support EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- CCProject Manager - Operational TechnologyQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - BaselineACT
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst AGILENSW
- CCService Delivery Manager - Infrastructure/ApplicationsNSW
- CCOracle Developer - 3 month contractSA
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- CCDesktop Applications PackagerSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCSSIS/ SSRS ExpertVIC
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW