Dvico TViX Multimedia Player
- Simple drag and drop file transfer, easy to use, copy and playback DVDs
- No support for WMV music files or ISO image files, lack of extensive file support
A simple way to get your movies, music and stills from your PC and onto your TV without having to set up a network or media server to do it.
Price$ 329.95 (AUD)
If you've ever spent a weekend wrestling with a recalcitrant media server, you'll be relieved to hear that there's a much simpler alternative.
Essentially a hard drive enclosure with video firmware, DViCO's TViX connects to your PC's USB 2.0 port and acts as a mass storage device. The capacity depends upon the hard drive in the unit itself--our review sample came with an 80GB drive, but you can buy the bare unit and easily add your own.
Copying your media files across is as simple as dragging and dropping them into the corresponding folder on the TViX. You can then carry it over to your TV, hook it up with the comprehensive AV ports at the rear and play them back.
Most of the major media file types and codecs are supported (including DivX and XviD), but Windows Media Video (WMV) isn't supported--a limitation of the Sigma EM8510 chipset. Nor can the TViX play ISO image files or .TS digital TV recordings like the Mvisto can. However, if you've created your own DVD movies, these can be copied across and played back, complete with menus. Upscaling of standard definition content for HD displays (1080i) is also supported.
The TViX's most important asset is its simplicity. It does what it does with the minimum of fuss, with no network expertise required. The TViX is an excellent product, although we'd like to see more extensive file support, as well as support for Ethernet, in future versions.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Google's 4K HDR Chromecast Ultra costs US$69, and will launch in November
- Xiaomi's 4K-capable Mi Box is the most affordable Android TV device yet
- Amazon's faster new Fire TV Stick comes with an Alexa-enabled voice remote
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTIntegration Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (UNIX/Windows) 161028/ITA/003Asia
- CCICT Project Reporting Planning CoordinatorNSW
- CCWebpage Designer - Canberra RoleNSW
- CCSenior Consultant, Enterpreneur in ResidenceVIC
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (Internet/ Intranet) 161025/JP/vhaAsia
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior programmer / ProgrammerAsia
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTData Governance Project Manager | 6 month ContractNSW
- FTMobile Delivery Manager / Studio LeadNSW
- FTSOE ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTMobile DeveloperAsia
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerSA
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Programmer (HTML5/Java/Oracle) 161031/P/551Asia