E-on Software Vue 7 Infinite/xStream
The latest version of E-on’s Vue line of landscape-generation applications doesn’t add any new types of elements to its collection of tools for creating landscapes, skies, trees, plants and volumetric clouds
- New attributes for EcoSystem generation technology, enhancements to Spectral Engine II clouds, water and import options, improved xStream integration
- More expensive, powerful system required, some features of xStream not consistent across all applications and platforms, steep learning curve for some workflows
The latest version of E-on’s Vue line of landscape-generation applications doesn’t add any new types of elements to its collection of tools for creating landscapes, skies, trees, plants and volumetric clouds. The new version’s features are largely refinements and enhancements.
The latest version of E-on’s Vue line of landscape-generation applications doesn’t add any new types of elements to its collection of tools for creating landscapes, skies, trees, plants and volumetric clouds — so the new version’s features are largely refinements and enhancements.
Like most other CG landscape tools, Vue’s building blocks are the terrains that form mountains, valleys, plains and other geological structures. As well as Standard terrains defined by a grid, or heightmap, Vue offers procedural terrains created from fractal-based mathematical functions. This creates terrain dynamically, according to the distance and position of the camera or viewer, and always looks massively detailed, even when you zoom in.
Vue 7 now offers two groups of presets: Ordinary Procedural Terrains are typically the same size as Standard terrains. The Infinite Terrain presets create procedural terrains that are so large that they can be considered infinite in the space you’re working. In fact, you’re offered the option of completely replacing the ground plane. The only drawback is that they require a lot of computing power.
The terrain editor has been revamped to make it as easy to touch up Procedural Terrains as Standard ones. A Procedural Altitudes tab has been added, and is used to control the output of the altitude function in this type of terrain. Furthermore, you are now able to control procedural terrain altitudes based on their relationships with other objects.
Other procedurally generated elements in Vue 7 include rocks, MetaClouds — basically standalone clouds that can be moved around, rotated and resized just like any other object — and SolidGrowth plants.
As before, SolidGrowth 4 offers a plant editor for creating the initial plant example, before it is procedurally generated to be different each time. It’s possible to animate any parameter in the editor, allowing the creation of effects such as plant growth and decay. You can also apply global wind and breeze effects, as well as individual wind and wind generators. New algorithms have also been added to reduce the flickering effect of plant animations when viewed ‘in the distance’.
Vue 7 ships with a greatly expanded SolidGrowth library, now offering over 70 plant species, as well as a new library of MetaCloud presets. Atmospheres and materials have had a boost too, now offering 160 and 530 presets respectively.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTChange Manager - Large Transition ProjectNSW
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW