FIFA 13 by EA Sports for iOS
It may not be as fluid as the console version, but FIFA 13 for iOS is a great mobile option for soccer nuts
- Different game modes
- Layout of controls
- Can’t make a pro
- Movement can be rigid
- Huge file size
For commuters, travellers, or those who don’t wish to invest in a console, FIFA 13 by EA Sports for the iPhone is a justifiable substitute. It offers multiple game mode options, as well as the fan favourite, FUT.
Price$ 5.49 (AUD)
While it cannot mirror the quality of the gameplay and the graphics that are offered by the console version of the game, EA Sports' FIFA 13 app is a sufficient substitute when away from home. It includes most of the major game modes, as well as multiplayer. However, the controls don’t provide the same level of freedom on the phone as they do on a console.
The FIFA 13 app features a Quick Match menu, which then allows you to select between Kick-off, Practice, and Penalty shoot-out. There is also a gamepad option, which gives you the ability to use the iPhone (or iPod) as a controller for the iPad version of the game.
Ultimate Team (FUT) is also available in the FIFA 13 app. It has all the functionality of the console version of FUT, including trade and store. The last mode, apart from the Online option, is Career, which includes Tournament and Manager playing modes. Unfortunately, you can't make your own pro player on the app.
The app does not share content (such as game mode saves, Ultimate Team, and other features) with the console version of FIFA 13, which means that you can't continue your console career through the app and vice-versa. Your account does link up though. As a result, any experience earned by playing the app version adds to your overall level within FIFA.
While the FIFA 13 app may not be able to compete with the freedom, flow, and freestyle nature of the console version of the game, it offers an exceptional mobile experience. EA Sports has done well to minimise the amount of controls present on the screen, meaning that your fingers remain in the bottom left and right corners rather than covering the majority of the screen. It has transformed the dozen plus button variations available in the console version into just four small buttons and swipe motions alongside an 'analogue stick'. Player movement is fairly smooth, although executing effective dribbling can be difficult due to player turns feeling too rigid.
Developer: Electronics Arts
Requirements: iOS 4.0+
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- New call-blocking apps in iOS 10 can stop spams and scams before they reach you
- Pokémon Go guide app with half a million downloads hacks Android devices
- Instagram is fighting harassment with new keyword filtering feature
- Facebook Messenger now supports native payments
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC