EA Games MySims
- A solid and fun game, adorable characters
- Too simple for hardcore Sims fans, the controls are wonky during build mode
Young gamers might be able to overlook some of the faults in MySims and enjoy themselves, but long time Sims fans shouldn't let the brand name fool them into investing in it.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
There's no denying that Nintendo is the king of cute -- the DS and the Wii are home to some truly adorable titles like Cooking Mama. Well, you can add MySims to the list of games so sugary, they'll give you cavities.
An interesting take on the mega-popular Sims formula, MySims is fun but it ultimately falls short. As a lifelong Sims fan, we hate to say this but Animal Crossing did it first and it did it better.
This village needs some Prozac
You start off in a village which is currently experiencing some down times. Once a thriving village, it's now a ghost town that's in need of rebuilding. That's where you come in: you have to slowly rehabilitate this sleepy village and return it to its former glory. How do you accomplish this task? By collecting Essence, a substance that can take six kinds of forms: cute, geeky, studious, spooky, tasty and fun. You can get Essence by doing tasks like picking up apples and helping other people.
You then use the Essence you collect to paint the buildings and objects you create. This is important because you have to match each object to the personality of the person you are building it for. A cute personality requires a cute object, a geeky person will require a geeky one and so forth. Use the wrong Essence and you risk failing that objective. You also build items in your workshop and you can unlock tools as you play. Eventually, you'll be asked to erect entire houses for people.
Those are the basics and unfortunately, the game just isn't particularly fun. The game is highly frustrating due to some quirks in the control scheme. Building items in the workshop is especially aggravating as you use the Nunchuk to rotate and zoom into your item, while using the Wii Remote to pick up and place blocks. This sounds easy on paper, but considering the fact that some objects require you to piece together 60+ pieces, it quickly becomes a chore.
The task system can also become tiresome after a while, especially when you're spending all of your time making furniture for other people instead of focusing on your own. Collecting Essence is also a repetitive and tiresome job that just feels pointless after a while.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Corsair's K70 RGP Rapidfire features new gaming-focused Cherry MX switches
- EVE Valkyrie's new Carrier Assault mode will fulfill your Millennium Falcon dreams
- Doom co-creator John Romero teases new PC shooter
- Microsoft kills off its Xbox 360 gaming console, but Xbox 360 games will live on thanks to Xbox One
- Microsoft adds Android Wear support to Outlook for Android
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- FTITSM Head of Service Desk & SwitchboardACT
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- CCData AnalystVIC
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCEnterprise Architect (Security)NSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW