EA Games Rock Band 2
It's a rock revolution.
- Customisation, Challenges, it rocks
- Might annoy your neighbours when you crank the volume up to 11
It's more Rock Band and that is not a bad thing at all. With a new setlist of songs and more features, it's a no-brainer for anyone who loved the first Rock Band.
Rock Band was never just a game-it was a bona fide phenomenon. It changed the way we looked at, listened to, and played music in a video game environment and now that revolutionary experience is back and better than ever with Harmonix's highly anticipated sequel, Rock Band 2. While it doesn't reinvent the wheel, it's something every virtual rocker will want to get and crank up to eleven. In the infamous words of Dee Snider, "if it's too loud, you're too old!"
Let's cut to the chase: by this point, we all know what Rock Band's about, so there's no point in re-hashing the rhythm-based gameplay mechanics — if you haven't played it, go play it already! Like a good sequel should, Rock Band 2 takes everything that made the original title great and improves upon it. The graphics got an impressive boost, with subtle touches throughout. There are filters applied during live performances that make it look like a real music video and the venues are more detailed than ever. The fantastic character designs really bring out the outlandish nature of the game as well.
But what really stood out for me this time around was insane amount of customisation the game allows: you can alter your character's attitude and wardrobe with an even wider selection of shirts, tattoos, hairstyles, make-up, masks-you name it, you can rock out in it. Also available in Rock Band 2 is the ability to customise your band with a surprisingly deep Band Logo creation tool which lets you combine multiple layers and display your band's mark in-game during your gigs.
At first glance, Rock Band 2's World Tour mode doesn't seem like anything new — you still take your tattered garage band across the country and earn stars, fans and cash as you move up the music industry food chain-but the familiar formula has been improved to raise the ante to new heights. You can now hire roadies, merch crews, and even music promoters to spread the gospel of your band worldwide while opening up new gigs and venues across the globe.
One of my favourite additions to the Tour mode was the game's Challenges, where your band is given specific challenges before each show. Meet the criteria like getting four stars during a particular song and you'll get double the cash; get less, walk away empty handed. Throw in competitions to win touring vans, buses, and private jets, online multiplayer and a brand new set list and you have more than enough material to keep you jamming with friends long into the night.
There's no denying the power of Rock Band's gameplay. There's a reason why it remains a popular game to play either by yourself or with your friends and Rock Band 2 just keeps the party going. If you already own the first game and all the instruments, this is a must-own title; if you haven't experienced the magic, this is a great place to start. Either way, you should probably go warn your neighbours now; better yet, invite them over for a few rounds.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCIT Infrastructure ArchitectNSW
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- TPUI/UX ConsultantWA
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerNSW
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial ServicesVIC
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC