EA Games The Simpsons Game
- Plenty of fun and humour, looks amazing, lots of characters from the show
- Terrible controls, annoying camera
People looking for a few laughs and a good time will probably like this game a lot. As a fan of the show, it was nice to see the Simpsons finally land a good game.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The bar for games based on the Simpsons is pretty low, so it might not be a huge deal to state that this is the best Simpsons game ever. While there are some major problems with controls and a very finicky camera, the Simpsons game is a lot of fun.
A lot of the Simpsons Game is recycled plots and inside jokes from previous episodes, but the action is heightened and intense as a giant statue turned-to-life from a Tree-house of Horror episode rampages Springfield while a horde of mini-Krusties attack you from all sides. We think people with even a cursory understanding of the cartoon will get a kick out of these sequences, while show veterans have plenty of Easter eggs and side jokes to keep them entertained.
Each member of Simpsons has their own special moves unique to their individual personalities: Marge uses a megaphone to take control of Springfield citizens and Homer belches flumes of toxic gas. However, the controls feature an annoying learning curve and are awkward and unresponsive. Many of the missions have only one way path to completion and we found ourselves having to constantly retry moves that should have otherwise been very simple. The camera angles can sometimes work against you too, so it's important to be aware of your surroundings at all times or find yourself hurtling down a fiery pit.
Each level pairs two Simpsons together and you can switch back and forth between them, though transitions can be sloppy. Luckily characters automatically regain health and resurrect so long as the other character is still alive.
Graphics are definitely a highlight. You often get the sense that you've entered Springfield and are actually controlling the actual cartoon. A lot of the environment is interactive, and aside from the messy controls, it can be a lot of fun moving through the city in between missions. This also gives you a chance to interact with everyone from Bumble Bee Man, Reverend Lovejoy and just about any other character you can think of. In fact, comments from characters like Kent Brockman and Prof. Frink had us laughing so hard we had to pause the game.
People looking for a few laughs and a good time will probably like this game a lot. As a fan of the show, it was nice to see the Simpsons finally land a good game, but purist gamers will be annoyed with the controls and therefore consider this one a renter. But despite all of the control issues, for our money, this is one of the most fun games we've played in a while.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCDesktop RolloutVIC
- CCSAP Billing & Invoicing ConsultantNSW
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- FTTechnical Team Leader | ArchitectQLD
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst / DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC