App review: eBay for iOS
The eBay app allows you to hunt for bargains while you're on the move
- Full website experience in app
- Simple and clear UI
- Barcode scanner doesn’t always work
- No account management capability
While it has minor flaws, the eBay app will give busy users control of their actions through a well-designed app. This can be particularly useful when running around retail stores as a price-comparison tool.
EBay’s iOS app uses a centralised and clear user interface to bring the website’s functionality to a smartphone. The design is simple and the layout is easy to understand. Features can easily be noticed and the most frequently used elements are positioned on the home screen. There is room for a few minor tweaks though, in terms of managing an account and the barcode reader.
The eBay app's home page is where you will spend most your time. The page features everything required to monitor purchases and sales, alongside messages, reminders, saved items, and, of course, the search bar. Towards the bottom you will find a special deals tab, recently purchased items, and a link to your account’s feedback page.
The search tab of the app is self-explanatory, and also contains recent and saved searches. The sell page is also self-explanatory.
The 'My eBay' feature provides a list of active and ended items that you are watching, buying, or selling, depending on the active option.
The settings page offers basic housekeeping options, including notifications, PayPal login, and a contact page. The ‘Show Help Menus’ button at the bottom of this tab does not seem to do anything; once tapped, it turns blue for a moment, then goes back to normal. EBay does not allow you to edit your actual account; to make any changes to your account, you will need to fire up the desktop website.
A great feature of eBay is the barcode scanner located beside every search bar within the app. It uses the smartphone’s camera to snap a product’s barcode or QR code, and searches for the product automatically. Unfortunately, the feature seems to either return no results or it finds matches very slowly.
Requirements: iOS 4.2+
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Plex's new universal Windows app powers up media playback with key Windows 10 features
- Steam's mobile app finally lands on Windows Phones
- Google Fit is getting a visual overhaul with new widget and Android Wear faces
- Facebook, Google dominate list of top 15 mobile apps
- Snapchat's Discover feature gets magazine-style makeover
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCProduction Manager / Digital ProducerNSW
- FTPortfolio Governance AnalystVIC
- FTIT Helpdesk (Microsoft)NSW
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- CCMiddleware ConsultantVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HP-UX/Oracle RDBMS) 160720/SA/113Asia
- CCPre-Sales Consulting Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- CCAsp.Net Developer with Angular, SQL,Twitter Bootstrapper, CSSNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCAgile Scrum MasterACT
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- CCCommunication LeadVIC