App review: eBay for iOS
The eBay app allows you to hunt for bargains while you're on the move
- Full website experience in app
- Simple and clear UI
- Barcode scanner doesn’t always work
- No account management capability
While it has minor flaws, the eBay app will give busy users control of their actions through a well-designed app. This can be particularly useful when running around retail stores as a price-comparison tool.
EBay’s iOS app uses a centralised and clear user interface to bring the website’s functionality to a smartphone. The design is simple and the layout is easy to understand. Features can easily be noticed and the most frequently used elements are positioned on the home screen. There is room for a few minor tweaks though, in terms of managing an account and the barcode reader.
The eBay app's home page is where you will spend most your time. The page features everything required to monitor purchases and sales, alongside messages, reminders, saved items, and, of course, the search bar. Towards the bottom you will find a special deals tab, recently purchased items, and a link to your account’s feedback page.
The search tab of the app is self-explanatory, and also contains recent and saved searches. The sell page is also self-explanatory.
The 'My eBay' feature provides a list of active and ended items that you are watching, buying, or selling, depending on the active option.
The settings page offers basic housekeeping options, including notifications, PayPal login, and a contact page. The ‘Show Help Menus’ button at the bottom of this tab does not seem to do anything; once tapped, it turns blue for a moment, then goes back to normal. EBay does not allow you to edit your actual account; to make any changes to your account, you will need to fire up the desktop website.
A great feature of eBay is the barcode scanner located beside every search bar within the app. It uses the smartphone’s camera to snap a product’s barcode or QR code, and searches for the product automatically. Unfortunately, the feature seems to either return no results or it finds matches very slowly.
Requirements: iOS 4.2+
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
- Google Play is cracking down on fake reviews and fraudulent install numbers
- New call-blocking apps in iOS 10 can stop spams and scams before they reach you
- Pokémon Go guide app with half a million downloads hacks Android devices
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTField Services EngineerWA
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTIT Business Process Analyst x 3 - (government background)NSW
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- FTAgile CoachACT
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!ACT
- FTContracts ManagerNSW
- FTAEM DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Full Stack Web Developer - Port MacquarieQLD
- FTInfrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer (Level 2 &3 )NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Digital & agileNSW
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTProcess Documentation AnalystNSW
- FTRecruitment ConsultantSA
- TPJunior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCODI DeveloperNSW
- CCServiceNow Specialist - Administration and DevelopmentVIC
- FTDocumentation AnalystNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect (e-Health)NSW
- FTFull Stack .Net Developer Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTAutomation TesterQLD