App review: eBay for iOS
The eBay app allows you to hunt for bargains while you're on the move
- Full website experience in app
- Simple and clear UI
- Barcode scanner doesn’t always work
- No account management capability
While it has minor flaws, the eBay app will give busy users control of their actions through a well-designed app. This can be particularly useful when running around retail stores as a price-comparison tool.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Vibe IOS Metal Pendant Light - Small 89.00
EBay’s iOS app uses a centralised and clear user interface to bring the website’s functionality to a smartphone. The design is simple and the layout is easy to understand. Features can easily be noticed and the most frequently used elements are positioned on the home screen. There is room for a few minor tweaks though, in terms of managing an account and the barcode reader.
The eBay app's home page is where you will spend most your time. The page features everything required to monitor purchases and sales, alongside messages, reminders, saved items, and, of course, the search bar. Towards the bottom you will find a special deals tab, recently purchased items, and a link to your account’s feedback page.
The search tab of the app is self-explanatory, and also contains recent and saved searches. The sell page is also self-explanatory.
The 'My eBay' feature provides a list of active and ended items that you are watching, buying, or selling, depending on the active option.
The settings page offers basic housekeeping options, including notifications, PayPal login, and a contact page. The ‘Show Help Menus’ button at the bottom of this tab does not seem to do anything; once tapped, it turns blue for a moment, then goes back to normal. EBay does not allow you to edit your actual account; to make any changes to your account, you will need to fire up the desktop website.
A great feature of eBay is the barcode scanner located beside every search bar within the app. It uses the smartphone’s camera to snap a product’s barcode or QR code, and searches for the product automatically. Unfortunately, the feature seems to either return no results or it finds matches very slowly.
Requirements: iOS 4.2+
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft Translator now translates text from images, increases language support
- Google search will soon show live TV listings
- Facebook Messenger adds group voice calls
- Viber joins WhatsApp and Apple with end-to-end message encryption
- Skype for Web goes plugin-free in Microsoft Edge, sort of
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- CCSr. Project Manager - Six SigmaVIC
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- CCSCCM - SCOM - AD Systems EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD