App review: eBay for iOS
The eBay app allows you to hunt for bargains while you're on the move
- Full website experience in app
- Simple and clear UI
- Barcode scanner doesn’t always work
- No account management capability
While it has minor flaws, the eBay app will give busy users control of their actions through a well-designed app. This can be particularly useful when running around retail stores as a price-comparison tool.
EBay’s iOS app uses a centralised and clear user interface to bring the website’s functionality to a smartphone. The design is simple and the layout is easy to understand. Features can easily be noticed and the most frequently used elements are positioned on the home screen. There is room for a few minor tweaks though, in terms of managing an account and the barcode reader.
The eBay app's home page is where you will spend most your time. The page features everything required to monitor purchases and sales, alongside messages, reminders, saved items, and, of course, the search bar. Towards the bottom you will find a special deals tab, recently purchased items, and a link to your account’s feedback page.
The search tab of the app is self-explanatory, and also contains recent and saved searches. The sell page is also self-explanatory.
The 'My eBay' feature provides a list of active and ended items that you are watching, buying, or selling, depending on the active option.
The settings page offers basic housekeeping options, including notifications, PayPal login, and a contact page. The ‘Show Help Menus’ button at the bottom of this tab does not seem to do anything; once tapped, it turns blue for a moment, then goes back to normal. EBay does not allow you to edit your actual account; to make any changes to your account, you will need to fire up the desktop website.
A great feature of eBay is the barcode scanner located beside every search bar within the app. It uses the smartphone’s camera to snap a product’s barcode or QR code, and searches for the product automatically. Unfortunately, the feature seems to either return no results or it finds matches very slowly.
Requirements: iOS 4.2+
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- New call-blocking apps in iOS 10 can stop spams and scams before they reach you
- Pokémon Go guide app with half a million downloads hacks Android devices
- Instagram is fighting harassment with new keyword filtering feature
- Facebook Messenger now supports native payments
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCApplication Support DeveloperVIC
- CCResident Engineer - Nexus 2K, 5K, 7K & 9KNSW
- FT.Net CRM Dynamics Developer LeadVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Wealth/Super backgroundNSW
- CCCisco Wi-Fi Network Engineer - SurveyorNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Security) 161018/AP/383Asia
- CC.Net Sitecore DeveloperVIC
- CCApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Procurement SpecialistVIC
- FTAX Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCICT Business AnalystACT
- CCProgram ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL/Web) 161026/AP/632Asia
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- CCSenior Consultant, Enterpreneur in ResidenceVIC
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- CCSAP FIORIACT
- CCSystems Engineer - NetApp, Exchange, ADNSW
- CCWeb Analytics AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - HKMAAsia
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSystem & Network EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonNSW