engin Voice Box 3102
- Competitively priced, allows both landline and VoIP calls through a single handset, easy setup, 30-day trial period, switchback feature
- VoIP requires AC power to make calls, quality of VoIP calls dependant on a number of factors out of your control
The Voice Box 3102 is a simple and easy option if you are looking for a way to save money on your telephone bill. With a 30-day trial period, it's definitely worth a look, especially for home and small office users.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Connecting to both your existing landline and your Internet connection, engin's latest Voice Box - the 3102 - is a simple looking device that allows you to make VoIP calls using the engin service. Conveniently, it does so while still being able to make and receive regular landline calls - all using your existing telephone.
The engin VoIP service is for those who are looking to save money on their phone bills. Engin allows you to make and receive telephone calls using a broadband Internet connection. The advantage of this technology is significantly reduced local, mobile and international call rates, details of which can be found on engin's website.
The Voice Box 3102 connects your existing telephone, landline and your broadband Internet connection through a single box. The actual hardware is a Linksys Voice Gateway with Router, although it naturally features prominent engin branding. Setup is fairly easy, simply connect the Voice Box to your modem or router with the included Ethernet cable, connect your regular landline to the Voice Box and finally, connect your telephone. The unit runs on AC power, but features switchback; this allows the Voice Box 3102 to use your existing landline in the event of a blackout.
The quality of the engin service in tandem with the 3102 is quite good, although it ultimately depends on a number of factors out of your control - namely, the quality of your Internet connection. Most of our calls were conducted in a clear, static-free manner, though we did experience a couple of drop-outs during testing. Do note that as your Internet connection is used to operate the service, surfing the Internet and/or downloading large files while talking over VoIP may cause a drop in quality.
The Voice Box 3102 has plenty of features including call-waiting, 3-way calling, caller ID, call forwarding, voicemail and switchback - some of these would normally incur extra charges from traditional telephone carriers such as Telstra and Optus. Engin has a range of residential plans, starting from $9.95 per month and peaking at $19.95 per month, and there are business plans as well. For more details click here.
The Voice Box 3102 can be purchased for $29.95 if you sign up to a 12-month contract and comes with a 30-day trial period - if you aren't happy with the service, simply return the unit to engin and you will be offered a full refund, minus the cost of any calls you made.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
- Can Wi-Fi and LTE-U live together? The tests are ready
- New wireless tech from MIT promises password-free Wi-Fi
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Regulatory/Compliance - BankingNSW
- FTTechnical Team Leader | ArchitectQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW