engin Voice Box 3102
- Competitively priced, allows both landline and VoIP calls through a single handset, easy setup, 30-day trial period, switchback feature
- VoIP requires AC power to make calls, quality of VoIP calls dependant on a number of factors out of your control
The Voice Box 3102 is a simple and easy option if you are looking for a way to save money on your telephone bill. With a 30-day trial period, it's definitely worth a look, especially for home and small office users.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Connecting to both your existing landline and your Internet connection, engin's latest Voice Box - the 3102 - is a simple looking device that allows you to make VoIP calls using the engin service. Conveniently, it does so while still being able to make and receive regular landline calls - all using your existing telephone.
The engin VoIP service is for those who are looking to save money on their phone bills. Engin allows you to make and receive telephone calls using a broadband Internet connection. The advantage of this technology is significantly reduced local, mobile and international call rates, details of which can be found on engin's website.
The Voice Box 3102 connects your existing telephone, landline and your broadband Internet connection through a single box. The actual hardware is a Linksys Voice Gateway with Router, although it naturally features prominent engin branding. Setup is fairly easy, simply connect the Voice Box to your modem or router with the included Ethernet cable, connect your regular landline to the Voice Box and finally, connect your telephone. The unit runs on AC power, but features switchback; this allows the Voice Box 3102 to use your existing landline in the event of a blackout.
The quality of the engin service in tandem with the 3102 is quite good, although it ultimately depends on a number of factors out of your control - namely, the quality of your Internet connection. Most of our calls were conducted in a clear, static-free manner, though we did experience a couple of drop-outs during testing. Do note that as your Internet connection is used to operate the service, surfing the Internet and/or downloading large files while talking over VoIP may cause a drop in quality.
The Voice Box 3102 has plenty of features including call-waiting, 3-way calling, caller ID, call forwarding, voicemail and switchback - some of these would normally incur extra charges from traditional telephone carriers such as Telstra and Optus. Engin has a range of residential plans, starting from $9.95 per month and peaking at $19.95 per month, and there are business plans as well. For more details click here.
The Voice Box 3102 can be purchased for $29.95 if you sign up to a 12-month contract and comes with a 30-day trial period - if you aren't happy with the service, simply return the unit to engin and you will be offered a full refund, minus the cost of any calls you made.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 3 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 4 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google's Espresso networking tech takes SD-WAN to internet scale
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Information Security SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Security AnalystsACT
- TPSQL Server DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystNSW
- FTSalesforce Developer - UrgentNSW
- FTNetwork Consulting ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCVirtualisation / Infrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCSystems Engineer (Netapp/Windows)NSW
- FTService Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCSoftware Licencing SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Linux AdministratorNSW
- CCTechnical Consutlant - Entry Level - HPSMQLD
- FTWFM Support Analyst (Kronos)NSW
- FTFront-end Developer (UX/UI)NSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerQLD
- FTRecruitment ConsultantSA
- FTSenior Capacity Planner | Contract through till DecemberVIC
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTPHP Full Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - PegaNSW
- FTSenior Data Warehouse ConsultantNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst / Project Coordinator dual role | $600pdVIC
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW