Epson Perfection 2580 Photo
- High speed, good photo image quality, image enhancement options
- Nothing notable
People who want to digitise batches of 35mm negatives will find the Perfection 2580 most useful.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
The Epson Perfection 2580 Photo produces high-quality images from both prints and film--and is a great value for the price. Plus, this scanner is ideal for anyone with stacks of 35mm negatives to scan.
People with large film archives will like this scanner, which has an automatic film loader built in. This nifty device lets you easily scan individual frames on 35mm negatives. Sort of like inserting a bank card into an ATM, you open the film loader door--located directly on top of the scanner cover--insert the filmstrip (containing up to six shots) in the slot provided, and push the start button. In our tests, the 2580 flawlessly fed the film into the unit and scanned and saved each frame in the strip as a separate image. The automatically scanned images did a fine job of matching the brightness, contrast and colour tones in the originals. You can also use the loader manually, which allows you to preview each frame before making the final scans.
In addition, the 2580 comes with a small slide holder that fits on the glass for scanning 35mm slides, but only one at a time. (Other models such as Epson's own Perfection 4180 Photo can scan batches of 35mm slides at once.)
The 2580 pumped out a 2" x 2" colour photo at 1200dpi in just under 28 seconds--an amazingly fast rate.
In our on-screen display of a scanned 4" x 5" colour photo, the Perfection 2580 accurately reproduced the skin tones and colour shades of the original. Our black-and-white line-art and greyscale photo scan tests, however, produced results that we rated closer to average.
The 2580 has four front-panel buttons (Start, Copy, E-Mail, and Scan & Save) for quick starts to common scanning tasks. The proficient Epson Scan driver has three operating modes: Full Auto, for fast and easy one-click scans; Home, for choosing a few basic settings; and Professional, for complete access to all scanner settings, including colour adjustment, tone correction and gamma control. We liked the 2580's image-enhancement options, such as colour restoration, dust removal and grain reduction. The colour restoration option, for example, livened up a faded photo with a red colour cast by adding more green and blue.
Bundled software includes a basic image editing application (ArcSoft PhotoImpression), a feature-limited but very accurate OCR package (ABBYY FineReader Sprint 5) and Epson's Smart Panel utility. The easy-to-use Smart Panel helps you process and manage your scans with a highly graphical interface, suitable for beginners or infrequent users. An optional Multi Photo Feeder can scan up to 24 4" x 6" photos (or business cards up to that size).
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTData AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2QLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectSA
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- FTERP Data Migration Consultant - Software Company - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- CCUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCBI Technical LeadACT
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCSME in Openstack, AWSNSW
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- FTPart Time - IT Service Desk AnalystVIC
- FTFull Stack PHP Developer - Focus on Front EndQLD
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- TPProject ManagerOther
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- CCTableau ConsultantVIC
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW